My WMO trip and observations

oregon101

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got home on Tuesday from a 1,100 mile road trip running on WMO and thought I would share my impressions. My truck is a 89 f250 4x4 Extra cab, C6 tranny and 4.10 rear end. I pre filtered the oil down to 1 micron and mixed it in 55 gallon barrels at 90% WMO and 10% diesel. I filled the front tank with the WMO mix and my rear tank with diesel. I started up on diesel and switched to WMO after the truck was warmed up. If I was shut off for more than a couple of hours I switched to diesel a while before shut off to clear the lines. The truck ran very well the whole trip. The weather was very warm 95-100 in Eastern Washington were I was and in that really warm temps the truck had hardly any smoke even under a load climbing hills. In the cooler weather 70-75 the truck did smoke a little under load. Nothing drastic but enough to see the difference. After I got home I pulled a couple of glow plugs to look at them and they looked good with no ash buildup. On Thursday I had the truck die on me twice going to work when I came to a stop at stoplights. It started right back up and I got to work. At lunch I noticed a puddle of fuel under the truck coming from the fuel pump. Needless to say the truck would not start so it's parked in the garage now. My guess is that the oil being thicker than diesel put extra strain on my OE pump causing it to fail. Based on this and my observations so far I'm going to add a few things. I'm adding a spin on filter base right outside the WMO tank to catch any stuff I missed in my filtering. After that I'm adding a Holley Red fuel pump to give the factory pump a boost. Finally I'm adding a Racor or Delphi heated fuel water seperator under the hood to heat the oil. The truck seemed to run "cleaner" with the warmer fuel. Any suggestion, comments, or ideas will be appreciated. Hope this is not to long. Lmk, thanks!

Last edited:

mankypro

Learning Slowly...
Reaction score
I've clocked about 500 miles on 100% WMO in one of my tanks. I do get a stutter every now and then, mostly when the engine isn't at 200F - I just switch to my front tank with DK and #2 for a while and it clears up - then I switch back.

Seems to work. I do carry a spare fuel filter with me just in case.

I'm thinking of putting in a heat exchanger for the rear tank, and/or lines but I need to figure out what to do...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin