My truck thinks i'm stealing it!

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yesterday afternoon after walking out of work I went to unlock my truck door and after I opened the door the alarm started going off, I closed the door stuck the key in and turned it in the lock a few times until the alarm stopped. Didn't think anything of it, until this morning in the doctors office parking lot when I was getting in it did the same thing, stick key in turn to the left to unlock and as soon as I open the door the alarm starts. After I got home I did it a few more times in my driveway to be sure it wasn't a fluke.

Its the factory alarm with the keyless entry system, I don't use the keyfobs anymore just my regular key to get in. Any thoughts on why its doing this?? And what is supposed to be the proper procedure for disarming it, I thought it was just turning the key in the lock but a couple times that didn't work right away.

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
I think it is the ignition that kills the alarm.... not the door.... but I agree, it should not arm without the keyfob..... and the door key should disarm it...

I do know they can act funny, I had a Durango, and I bumped the lock button and it locked the truck. The windows were down, and I reached in, hit the unlock button on the inside of the door, since the window was open... and that set off the alarm......

Midwest_Mudder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do you lock the door then shut it or shut the door first? i used to have a toyota supra that would set off the alarm every time if i locked the door while it was open. but if i closed the door, then locked it, the alarm wouldnt go off when i came back and unlocked it. just a thought

turbodiesel94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did some more checking tonight and it seems that the problem is only with the D/S door. Whenever I turn the key its not registering with the alarm and thinks I'm breaking in. But if I do it with the passenger door the alarm doesn't go off. Looks like I'll be carrying a keyfob now until I can get the door apart and see whats wrong.