my truck is stalling could someone help me

1992F-250IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok so when i start my truck it has good power for like 10 mins but i run her a little bit and she starts idleing ruff or just stalls than it wont start but u let it sit for about 2 mins fires right up and does it again if im a highway speeds i can hit the tank switch to front than back to rear and it will usally clear up for a little wile than does it again
any help would be great thank yall josh

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
How much fuel is in the rear tank? It could be that the pickup tube has fallen off, then you can't draw the tank down to less that 1/4 full.

could also be an air leak at the fuel tank selector valve, or somewhere else.

How is the fuel filter, changed it recently???

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
its on the frame rail, drivers side in front of the forward tank. check all around there for leaks, and check all the hard plastic lines for cracks.

does it do this more often with the engine warm, or cold, or both?

ohio cowboy

william g cole
Reaction score
IT SOUNDS LIKE THE FUEL LINE'S BUT ALSO SOUNDS LIKE THE FUEL PUMP IS GOING BAD OR THE INJECTION PUMP MAY BE RETARTED AND NEED'S TO BE ADVANCED. BUT IF YUR STILL HAVING PROBLEMS IT MAY BE THAT YUR INJECTION PUMP IS LOOSEING PRESURE AND U MAY HAVE TO HAVE IT REBUILD??

SparkandFire

We're drinking beer
Reaction score
If you can get a fuel pressure gauge on the line between the lift pump and the IP you should be able to see whats going on, or if there's air in the lines.

You want somewhere close to 5 PSI of fuel pressure there.

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
my truck does the exact same thing keep us posted if you find out whats wrong with it.. thanks

hesutton

The Anti-Anderson
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've gotta check the fuel system pretty thoroughly for leaks/problems. This is a fuel supply issue. Does the problem stop if you fill up the tanks? If so, your fuel pick ups on the bottom of the senders are broken off. Do you see any wet fuel lines? Do you see air coming from the schraider valve on the fuel filter header?

Heath

dman67

Reaction score
Does your truck have a pre-heater in your fuel line? I was having a whole lot of fuel issues with my truck, i wanted to just run it off of a cliff! A buddy of mine who is a mechanic, took a look at it and through a process of elimination, finally found that the inline fuel heater was plugged so bad, i don't know how my truck ran at all. We eliminated the fuel heater and just ran a fuel line from where the metal hard line stops to the fuel filter. My truck runs better than it has ever ran before, since i have owned it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alleycat