My transmission mount broke

Reaction score
At the rear transmission mount, where the rubber mount bolts to the ZF, it broke the tabs in half where the bolts go through....on the actual transmission...

If it isnt one thing.....

Is this common at all with zf-5's?

I was kinda wondering why it broke? I think this is why my truck would bounce when i let off the clutch.

I guess im gonna make a custom crossmember and mount the transmisson mount in a different spot.

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Rear transmission mounts often break on older vehicles, especially if they get a steady diet of oil.
Why not just replace to part with after market or oem? Why are you considering redesigning the cross member?

91/2 7.3idi

BarnyardFabrication
Reaction score
are you talking about the actually aluminum casing breaking? that has happened on my zf. where the bolt on the passenger side screws into cracked and the bolt fell out.

Reaction score
are you talking about the actually aluminum casing breaking? that has happened on my zf. where the bolt on the passenger side screws into cracked and the bolt fell out.

exactly. The aluminum threads in the ZF where you screw in the trans mount actually split in half. My transmission was literally just sitting ontop of the mount!

Tommorow i gotta fab up some other way to mount the transmission. there is a flat area foreward of where it was bolted....maby I can drill some holes there and move the mount foreward?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online