My project for 92 350

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Just thought I would make a thread to update my status on my 1992 f350 crew cab gas to idi conversion. First the gas 460 ran great just 9mpg really sucked for me. I had a 1988 f250 with a 7.3 and a 5 speed. Was a decent truck the blue one I had on here for sale awhile back. So I pulled the engine trans and radiator from the 88. First I was just going to reveal everything and put it in truck was running good got 16 mpg. Then I took the motor apart just to inspect it so I wouldn't have any troubles later. Found the rings wore out bore was ok just some taper 0.003. We'll since I'm so lucky I got a 88 7.3 which no one makes a oil ring for the pistons. So took the motor to machine shop, bare block anyway. Block is still there waiting to be bored 0.030. Got a set of Mahle 0.020 shorter pistons with the hard anodized coating, only had them in 0.030 over. New Mahle rings, new cam bearings and freeze plugs. I sent the cam to Delta Camshaft in Washington state had it reground end to their 206 profile. It's back waiting on block. I worked on the heads for several hours porting them. Got all the casting ruff ness out and worked the bowl and valve guide area. New comp 910 springs to go in it. Got all new valves std size. Going with a 3 angle valve job. My arp head stud kit came in today, the bolts I ordered from compition products products was wrong why the price was so cheap. They sent 7/16 bolts and light duty 1/2 nuts! So I should have a good bottom end.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Sorry for the long winded ness. Turbo plans include a he351 turbo from a 5.9 not the Vgt type. 60mm compressor. I scored a good one from a friend for $200. Will have to have custom manifolds. Already have the 3/8 plate ruff cut to make headers. Thinking of using 1 3/4 and 2" up pipes. Have not settled on a fuel pump yet. Funds are getting low so may stick to a stock pump til it's broke in good. I would like to have about 120cc of fuel but I know that's tuff from a db2 and still be dependable.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score
Update. Just got the other head assembled today and put on. Got my Moose Mister injector in and ready to install. Here is some pics.
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

92F350CC

Ford Man
Reaction score
Attachments didn't work. Seems to be a problem with pictures using Quick Reply.

76ford466

Another member
Reaction score

racer30

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking good....R&D IDI performance has a nice 110cc pump...Very nice fuel curve and it will give you about 390 to 425 HP and 650 to 750 Torque at the Crankshaft with your combo if you can get about 20 to 25 psi boost out of your turbo....Real nice daily driver with an attitude....I hope to build a new Engine with one for my next project.

Last edited: