My obs keeps dying!

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Hey there everyone i am having trouble with my 95 stroker dying while im going down the road. It doesnt matter if im in town or on the highway. The check engine light came on once right before it died but it doesnt come on every time. I can shut the key off and it will start right back up and run perfect. Thank you for any help i can get!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
i have heard of cam sensor issues on these trucks i have not changed it yet or looked at the code (if it is still there considering the light is gone now) due to a lack luster budget i cant afford to throw parts at it and hope for the best lol. i wanted to check and see if there was a common spot that wiring will go bad for either the cam sensor or the injector computer. one day it sputtered and i was barely keeping it alive with the pedal and yesterday it just instantly fell on its face and didnt think twice about it. i will price a cam sensor and see if i cant get a new one on it. know anything about e4od's? mine shifts hard and doesnt shift at the same point every time and sometimes the torque converter doesnt lock up until i get a few miles down the road thanks again for any help i will let you know if the cps works!

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
No, I'm a zf myself.
Another thing to try, unplug the icp sensor when it's running bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mojoman

Reaction score
watch your tach when cranking the engine...if it doesn't show rpm, its most likely the cps...goto International for engine parts....much more reasonable....hth

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Ok i will try that thanks mojo. And jasper what would be a fair price ro pay for a used 4x4 zf? I am converting to four wheel drive and would rather have the 5 speed. Or is there a 6 speed option out there?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
IMO, a zf is only worth it it you have real high gears. Like 3.55's.
Between the zf5 and zf6, you're really only gaining a extra low gear.
Not saying I wouldn't do it, as I like the way the zf6 shifts over the zf5, but it also takes a different transfer case, and has a cooler, so you need to plumb that in.

Around here on Craigslist, most 4x4 zf5's are around $5-900.
But then you'll also need to modify your driveshafts. Not that big a deal though. I would trust my own welding to do it. Then I'd take it in to have it balanced.

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Ok hey thanks a million! And i juat put a cam sensor in it and so far it hasnt died im going to take it for a spin to make sure thanks for the help!

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
Oh and what transfer case would i look for to mate with a zf6?

fordbrother95

dreams of smoke
Reaction score
And the zf6 will bolt right up? Are the clutches the same or should i try and look in the forums for something like that?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Different clutch iirc.
It's been awhile since I've looked it up. But the super duty 7.3's had them. (The 99-03 trucks)

fordtuff

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no where near an expert on e4od but ill clue you in on what smoothed mine out when I first got it. The shift indicator was off slightly and the lever had some slack to it. I got the specs to adjust it, made a 3lb weight hangar as required and it straighted it right out.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online