My friend's 1974 1310 Turbo IDI build!

rembrant88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess if you are going original look than going crazy with a bumper wouldn't be such a good idea. Some paint to spruce it up will be about all it needs. Oh, and that's a cool scout. I'm sorry to say that the camo won't do much to hide those dents and rust though, my brother already tried it....

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holmes bumper would look good on a dually truck. On a SRW it will be somewhat out of place methinks, unless of course there's a boom on the back of said truck. And looking at that donor truck I'm once again wondering why I even bothered sprucing up my brick front clip, instead of just swapping it out for a bullnose (and sprucing that up of course)...

By the way, I know how you can give yourself a power steering filter that not only increases your capacity by nearly a quart but also looks almost factory :sly Setup was tested on my own truck first of course.

I like more capacity. Anything to keep my fluids cool and clean.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Parts list for you:

- one fuel filter tower from an '86 or older 6.9 van.
- two 3/8" barb 1/4" NPT fittings
- several feet of 3/8" hose
- one NAPA #1755 filter (it's 21 micron, flows 11-13 GPM so over 3 times what the pump is capable of, and has a 20 psi bypass valve built in)

Remove tower's fittings for the factory steel fuel lines, install barbs in their place. Spin your filter on tower loosely, put tower on intake, make sure bottom of filter clears all injector return lines, if all is good tighten tower bolts down. Connect the return line from your steering box to the fitting facing the injector pump. Connect fitting facing the fender to the PS pump's return port. Prefill the filter with whatever fluid you're using in you PS system, spin it on good and tight, fire up engine, and check fluid level in pump - it will drop slightly but not by much. Top off as needed, go have a beer or three - job is done. Obviously if you want to get fancy you can use flare fittings instead of the barbs and form your own steel lines to go with them. I used hoses cause it makes it easier to remove filter tower for accessing injector return lines and TPS without making an oily mess everywhere.

Important note: on trucks with the E4OD transmission the NAPA filter may not clear the TPS. Mine looks like it will clear by a smidgen, but then I can't get to the TPS at all without removing the tower. Changing the filter is also impossible then. My solution was 3/4" tall spacers between the filter tower and the engine intake, this lifted the filter enough to allow easy TPS access and filter changes, but not high enough to come in contact with the hood. Make sure the spacers have 3/8" ID but quite large OD, you can slide a smaller spacer into a larger one to achieve that, just make sure they're all the same height. The large OD is needed to properly support the weight of tower and filter, if you only have the regular 3/8" ID sleeves as spacers the vibrations from the engine running may crack the bottom of the filter tower. Alternatively you can stack a bunch of 3/8" flat washers together, that will achieve the same result just somewhat messier to install.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In that case it will probably be easier to mount if you used a 6.9 truck filter head, instead of a van tower. Filters swap over fine, just the truck head is much smaller and easier to work with than the big funky-shaped chunk vans use. I have one down on my frame rail with the trans fluid running thru it.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before

You must be registered for see images

After

From The Front

Looks Small Next To The Big M

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the big M looks small next to that Loadstar LOL

Looks like new tho. Btw why did ya'll leave the "fenders" off?

that's Actually A FleetStar. We Took Off The Fifth Wheel And Shortened The Frame 9 Inches. The Truck Has 8000 Miles On It. 6-71Detroit.

I'm Not Leaving The Hood OfF hood And Fenders For The Tractor Are Being SandBlasted Right Now.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Aye I figured the hood will go back on eventually, but I've seen folks leave the fenders off permanently (dumb idea IMHO if tractor is to see actual tractor duty), so I had to ask.

Bet the FleetStar sounds nice climbing a grade :sly (you do have mountains near you, right?)

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fleet star is still under construction. We have driven it up and down the road but we did not get to really work her yet! It does sound awesome though.

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dash Parts, CoreSupportAnd InnerFenders Painted. Matte Black

BrandonBerkosky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And I Got The GrillOnThe Tractor

Before