My block is stamped D U2 U6 2083

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Am I missing something here? Is that part of a serial number or block casting? It was on the horizontal plane between front of driver's side cylinder head and the timing cover. Is this a partial number which is hidden bÝ the timing cover? Basically I just want to know what the real displacement of my engine is.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you looking to see if it's a 6.9 or a 7.3? Do you know what year it is?

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Look at the head bolts. If you need a 12point 7/16 socket its a 6.9. 1/2 socket is a7 .3

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The engine is in a 1989, but has had major mechanical components replaced (D50 out of a 97, t-case out of a super doody), and the engine runs so quietly and sounds different than my 7.3 idi and psd.

Basically, I have no idea what engine displacement it is nor the year of the engine. All I know is it's a non-leaky, torquey mothetrucker.

As for the head bolts, I thought the 1/2, 7/16 was the shank diameter, not the head size?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The engine is in a 1989, but has had major mechanical components replaced (D50 out of a 97, t-case out of a super doody), and the engine runs so quietly and sounds different than my 7.3 idi and psd.
As far as the engine sounding different, that could be in your pump timing, or the overall health of your fuel system. A quiet engine generally indicates retarded timing; OTOH your other IDI's timing could have been too far advanced.

As for the head bolts, I thought the 1/2, 7/16 was the shank diameter, not the head size?
It's really both...the bolt heads aren't what one would call a standard design. I know that I used a 7/16" socket to untorque the heads on my 6.9l; IIRC I used a 5/8" socket for the stud nuts, but my memory leaves much to be desired LOL

FWIW my block number is 6.9D U2U 048458...so, yes, it looks like you're missing the first part of your block number. If it helps at all, my block is a late '83/early '84...

cpdenton

Truck needs paint.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Here is what the serial # looks like on my 94 block...just so you can get some reference.

Block c/n 10809000C1 was used for the entire 7.3L IDI years of production. The serial numbers for naturally aspirated applications are 500,079 through 1,116,330.

This quote comes from the following article, if you read through it the serial numbers are all listed.

http://www.enginebuildermag.com/Item/1233/rebuilding_the_international_6973l_powerstroke_engine.aspx

I'll bet since you have a 6 after the second u, you are in the 600,000 range, making it a 7.3

But that is just a guess

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Your missing some numbers near the timing gear cover. Some cleaning will show them up.

Oog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmm, so the block would be an 88-89, which matches the vintage of the truck.

I shall scrape with a razor blade when truck cools off. Thanks guys!!