the E4od fits nicely above the front cross member
You must be registered for see images attach

rear cross member with C6 trans mount, the cross member has to be lowered 2"

brake power booster clearance is nice

steering box clearance is good about 1 1/2"

rear fire wall, did a little remodeling so I didn't have to fight with the firewall lip.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And now the fun stuff!

Oil pan has to shortened 2" should do me fine

A/C box has to be notched...This is where a body lift will fix and no room above the tranny for a turbo without major floor workfrom what I see as of now

Oil filter has good clearance, will get one on to confirm

This is the original frame mount from the gasser gives a little perspective on the diesel placement

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
HA it will fit with an AC cab!!

It will fit in between the A/C box but its against the brake booster and the power steering unit :mad:, The picture is with the box layed against the motor to show how much needs to be cut off...Its about 3" so for now I'm going to block off the opening I might just change to a vintage air system since the A/C compressor wont fit anyway.

This motor is BIG in noway is it comparable to a 460 its about 4" wider and I'd say 3-4" taller:eek:

The E4OD is approximately 6" longer so shaft needs to shortened

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well got my engine final set today:sly, Got pan cut down, Cross member customized...Built the engine mounts today, Fittin the turbo was a.....B***H :mad: should be a final bolt in next weekend...Going to start working the wiring over the week.;Sweet

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some of what it used to look like :puke:

Before I did the first restore....:eek:

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a very nice looking truck. So, if I am following you correctly the A/C compressor sticks too far up and will not clear the hood when closed? I plan to run the hydraboost system so I won't have a break booster to clear.

Looking at the pictures above is making me think that a 70's body swap on to a diesel 4x4 frame will be the easiest route to take. Rather than swapping in a diesel and then converting to 4x4.

Thanks for the pictures with comments as you are building your tuck up.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It is a very nice looking truck. So, if I am following you correctly the A/C compressor sticks too far up and will not clear the hood when closed? I plan to run the hydraboost system so I won't have a break booster to clear.

Looking at the pictures above is making me think that a 70's body swap on to a diesel 4x4 frame will be the easiest route to take. Rather than swapping in a diesel and then converting to 4x4.

Thanks for the pictures with comments as you are building your tuck up.

Its not the A/C compressor its the air box that may not fit but I'm not at that point yet, But I can tell ya if you go turbo the A/C wont work on a 2x because the hoses end up right in the down pipe...But wont know until I work on that part of the build, The power box is the problem not the brake booster and I want to be sure I can get the valve cover off if need be.

A 70s swap on to a 80-90s frame is going to be more difficult then youd think the frame mounts are all different 81 up have a wider frame and the motor sits further back...This has not been a difficult build heck I'v only been at it for 3-4 weeks on the truck itself...If I didnt go turbo Id be almost done

Here a 57 I build with the original frame turned into a 4x4

You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]

Coyote_Red

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. I will continue to watch as you progress and ask questions if you don't mind.

SHARPIE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying. I will continue to watch as you progress and ask questions if you don't mind.

Not at all ask away...;Sweet

Some more progress pic's

This part of the floor board needs to be bent back about 1 1/2-2" to clear down pipe and up pipe.

My cut up pan was going to notch but decided to just go flat, Would only have about a 2 1/2 drop in the notch so it wasnt worth the time

My oil filter clearance is awesome! I can run the large filter, This is before the engine mount set in place but with it set on the mount its the same I did this one so it can be clearly seen.

my up pipe clearance

My down pipe clearance

And the good stuff :sly

The passenger side needs this spot notched slightly for the gear reduction starter only about a 1/4 of an inch

Had a rain day today and got her all welded up and set in place fits GREAT!

Last edited by a moderator: