Muffler Choices

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
The Enterprise is straight piped with 5" stacks in the bed. Pretty quite in the cab, but I've got another seat and a set of doors between me and the stacks :D

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
I have glasspacks on my truck, from the PO, the y-pipe was cut, and separate 2.5" exhaust pipes ran for each side with no crossover, they exit either side and yes, they are the same as straight piping the truck (when I cut off the exhaust for a couple days when working on the truck, it made no change in the sound, the smoke just came out under the cab instead of behind the wheels).
The sound is...... interesting....... :dunno especially when going through a narrow pass with the truck working at 2000+.....
It sounds like a gasser with glasspacks on steroids LOL

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right on! Anything is better than the stock muffler. Looks like a good quality muffler for an even better price.

Picked it up at advanced auto for 52 bucks with coupon! With all the clamps and adapters 66 bucks just need an elbow to have it come out before the rear tire

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the dynomax ultra is what i used first before going to the big truck muffler.way too loud under load as n/a.this is the one that got me blue lighted.once i swapped to turbo it was much better but still too much imo.
in comparison the ultra is tiny compared to the BTM.this is why she's much quieter.

for a pickup just driving around it will probably be ok but if you haul heavy and put it to the floor on the hills...........i sure don't miss it.that got old real fast.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here you can see the difference and why the BTM tones things down much better than the ultra.

Attachments

• Picture 02.jpg
    Picture 02.jpg
    1,021.4 KB · Views: 24
  • 60.jpg
    60.jpg
    650.2 KB · Views: 23

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here you can see the difference and why the BTM tones things down much better than the ultra.

Yeah mostly just driving around if I am hauling it won't be often. I threw it on there temporarily to see what it sounds like and its 100 times quieter. It will probably be a little better once I locate and purchase a 3" 90 elbow and a couple feet of pipe to make a tailpipe. Go figure none of my local part stores stock anything bigger than 2.5" just my luck. So off to a HD truck store tomorrow morning.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
How Does it sound and what did it all cost you. How far back did you mount the muffler?

It sounds more like a 460 than a 7.3. LOL It's not loud at all.
Well the tailpipe was a left from my Super Duty. 3.5" pipe I had in stock. Muffler with misc clamps was about $75. bucks.

I mounted the muffler in the stock location. This way I could use the left over SD tailpipe. :D

tgomes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh well for me its 2.5" to 3" adaptor the 17296 walker/dynomax muffler a 3" 90 and maybe a foot or so of pipe. Still a little loud with just the muffler. Hope the 90 and foot of pipe quiets it just a tad. Will post a video tomorrow!