Mr. Gasket 105p without regulator?

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I’m just looking for some opinions on weather it’s dangerous to run the mr. gasket 105p diesel pump without a regulator? Or is that asking for trouble? Hopefully someone knows the answer because I have to install my pump tomorrow morning

aggiediesel01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there's a few more recent threads from Wes that outline what happens when the pump has too much pressure but I can't find them off hand. Search bar is your friend.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can run it like that but it isnt ideal, you’ll be adding a good amount of advance and skewing your transfer pressure curve from where it’s calibrated at, but it won’t break the pump. I’ve put 80 psi in front of a stock pump testing on the shop truck a few engines ago and it didn’t hurt anything, it kept the advance piston pushed all the way over all the time so it was pretty much like driving a pump with locked timing.

The 105p should come with a bypass regulator, it can cut your pressure down until you can get a good Holley one, they just don’t maintain pressure and adjust nearly as nicely as the real Holley regs but they will work for you. If for some reason yours didn’t come with one I can send you one of the mg regs that I never used.

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the input!!:) tomorrow I’ll just put it in without the regulator and drop the timing a hair. From my experience I’ll just need to shave 3 degrees or so off the timing and then I’ll see how it pulls. I’ll get a Holley regulator as soon as I can and put that on when I have time. I have to pick up a load of railroad ties tomorrow about 2.5 hours away, so that’ll be a good test run. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Once again, thank you all!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys for all the input!!:) tomorrow I’ll just put it in without the regulator and drop the timing a hair. From my experience I’ll just need to shave 3 degrees or so off the timing and then I’ll see how it pulls. I’ll get a Holley regulator as soon as I can and put that on when I have time. I have to pick up a load of railroad ties tomorrow about 2.5 hours away, so that’ll be a good test run. I’ll let you guys know how it goes. Once again, thank you all!

Are you building pull posts for a fence? Or a railway lol

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you building pull posts for a fence? Or a railway lol
Neither actually :joker: they are going to be the foundation for on of those big barns with a vinyl roof and sides. Although a few weeks ago we did get a bunch of ties for fence. Only we have a hydraulic railroad tie pounder that mounts on a backhoe:Thumbs Up. It’s kinda cheating but it sure gets the job done fast!

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There’s a place in Fallon selling ties at $11 a piece, and every where else it’s $18-$35 per tie, so we’re kinda stocking up

That’s a good deal dude. We’ve always got ours from my papa’s buddy who worked for Union Pacific. And the hydraulic pounder is where it’s at. For the railroad ties we usually use concrete and then a pneumatic pounder for T posts. Works really well

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I installed the 105p this morning, and installed part of my new 4 inch exhaust, then took off to Fallon for the railroad ties. The truck runs amazing!!! It was a 220 mile round trip and the beast hauled like a pro. 60-70 mph whole way home with 6000 pounds of ties on the trailer. Boy do people give me funny looks when they get passed by a one ton truck with a giant load :Thumbs Up

Dane Rickford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted it on the frame rail right inform of the front tank. And yeah, the mechanical pump is bypassed, it was bypassed when I got the truck and I’ve stuck with electric pumps since

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mounted it on the frame rail right inform of the front tank. And yeah, the mechanical pump is bypassed, it was bypassed when I got the truck and I’ve stuck with electric pumps since
Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I’m waiting on my Sniper pump which is the same as a Holley blue. I’m pretty sure they’re about the same as your pump.