Motorcraft fan clutch no good

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NAPA part number is 273399, NAPA TEMP is apparently the maker of it or at least re-branded as them.

Aha, found a wiki page for Standard Motor Products. Which says the stuff it makes is re-branded as NAPA Temp, and Murray and Duralast, several others. So Standard Motor Products might be the true manufacturer.

Thanks! keep us posted as to how it holds up, first one lasted a year? no problems on the warranty?

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First one was dead on arrival. I just wasn't sure, until this past weekend. I should have forced tested it the 1st time, like I did last night by covering the grill. It has a "lifetime" warranty, so if this one dies, I get another one. But it's such a basic part it should last a long time, since it apparently works out of the box unlike last time.

Oh, One difference I noticed. The bi-metallic coil on the dead one was noticeably tighter than the replacement once. The new working one being looser make sense in retrospect. Because they "loosen" to engage the clutch. I think the bi-metal coil last one simply was too short or something, unlike the replacement. I should have taken pictures of the 2 side by side, doh, too late now.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The NAPA part number is 273399, NAPA TEMP is apparently the maker of it or at least re-branded as them.

Aha, found a wiki page for Standard Motor Products. Which says the stuff it makes is re-branded as NAPA Temp, and Murray and Duralast, several others. So Standard Motor Products might be the true manufacturer.
Only 2 manufacturers.hayden and us motor works.napa ,oriley ,car quest and pb all sell Hayden or reboxed hayden

turbo elk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you make the "spring/coil" long-term to make it lockup sooner? by a 1/8 to a1/4 inch?... can you replace the coil if you break it?... and jb weld would work?

Matt_INW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes making it "longer" by moving the bend makes it engage at a cooler temperature. I doubt jb weld would do you any good. Once broken you'd need to replace the clutch unless you find a custom coil. I did look online a few days and I think I did find a company that makes custom coils. Sorry I didn't save it but if you look up bimetallic coil, bi-metallic, bimetal coil, or bi-metal coil and maybe the word fan clutch one of those should bring it up.