motor swap?

aaklingler

Reaction score
What does it take to swap a motor out of a van into a truck with a turbo on it, I don't know which turbo?

How much is a used Luk smf worth?

Doggy Daddy

Reaction score
Vans are so miserable to work on that I'd probably look for a pickup donor. Failing that I'd try to sawzall the body off the van. If you can't get away with that you will certainly need to remove the turbo to get it out.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Vans have ups and down's, once you get the dog house off you have easy access to EVERYTHING! But you'll need a robust cherry picker to get the engine out, and totally disasemble the front end, if you are patient it shouldn't be a problem, if you drink 3 pots of coffee every day then watch out.... They can really **** you off.

HiWayMan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Doggy Daddy said:
Vans are so miserable to work on that I'd probably look for a pickup donor. Failing that I'd try to sawzall the body off the van. If you can't get away with that you will certainly need to remove the turbo to get it out.

I pulled a V-8 out of the passenger side door entrance of a 72 Ford Van. It was very easy. But, I think the dog house area is larger on an old van and the 302 cu" engine is much smaller.. It might be something to think about though. The cherry picker lined up real easy and I didn't have to do anything to the front end.. Good luck....

Al

aaklingler

Reaction score
Thanks, my robust cherry picker is a tractor with a loader on the front. I was looking for information on needing to switch exaust manifold and oil coolers and other problems with the placement of the van turbo. If I have to change the drivers side exaust manifold I will need a custom cross over pipe.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
aaklingler said:
I think I'll have to pass, i'm looking at buying one, the guy wants $250.
$250 seems to be a bit much for just the flywheel. Dial-a-Clutch wants $297 for the LuK SMFW, brand-new.

I don't know what the street value of a used SMFW would be, but I wouldn't pay $250 for one if I could get a brand-new one for only $50 more. I would venture to guess more in the $150 to $200 range? How many miles are on it, and has it been (or does it need to be) resurfaced?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MadScientist

Members online