More Pyro Questions...

84TD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hope everyone had a good christmas :santa:
Since we are on the pyro subject on the other tread, I was wondering what normal EGTs are. I am unsure if mine is accurate but at idle it must be less than 300 since my guage only goes from 300 to 1600. at steady 65mph cruise it is at 400 to 500 and accelerating to 65 totally flooring it it will climb up to 800 or 900 tops then goes right back bown to 400. Does this sound normal? I want to turn up the fuel but I havent done it cause I wasnt sure about my guage. The temps seem to coincide with my boost, at idle no boost, steady 65mph maybe 1 psi, floored I can get up to 5 or 6 psi in upper rpms. ;burnout

BTW when I bought the truck it didnt work at all, after I cleaned all the connections really well this is what I have. Also my bung:moon: is right after the manifold on the right bank.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
your temps have room to grow, so you can turn up your fuel. You want to stay under 1200 degrees for any lenght of time and you'll be fine.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
That's lower than mine on all accounts. Mine's about 300 at idle once warm, about 600 at 65 and will go up to about 1050 if I stomp on it and then maxes out just before 1100 on a long climb. I have my probe mounted in the cross over very close to the drivers manifold.

have fun

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My temps are:

250 degrees at idle
425 to 450 degrees at 55 mph in 5th (flat ground)
450 to 550 degrees at 65-70 mph in 5th (flat ground)

Load the truck or go up a hill and all bets are off ;) When finances allow, I want to intercool the truck, but that's probably a few years down the road (need to put an exhaust in it first :shocked: ), as I max out the EGT's before I run out of power. I try to keep the EGT's below 1100 degrees, just to be safe.

That's with the probe mounted right at the point where the up-pipe goes into the turbo (stock location for my ATS unit).

:)

Cheaper Jeeper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
....I have my probe mounted in the cross over very close to the drivers manifold....

I have my temp probe mounted in the same place - about 1.5"-2" below the flange to the manifold. However I have kind of an odd pyrometer with a scale from 600-2200.

At idle the needle sits on the 600 peg. Cruising on the highway it will occaisionally get off the peg a little when going up a slight hill. If I romp on it I can get it up to around 800 or so. If I romp on it uphill it will cloimb all the way to 1000. When pulling a 12% grade with my foot in it the temp will read right up to 1200 - but I can get it to drop back down very quickly just by letting off it a little.

Anytime the EGTs are high enough to register (above 600) the needle will drop faster from letting up on the throttle than it climbs when I get on it. In other words, the EGTs go down faster than they go up...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a turbo, I'd dump the pyro that doesn't read from zero. Best to let the engine idle till your under 300 for maximium turbo bearing life before shutdown.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
I think its actually wise to idle a little bit longer than that, but don't have great data to support it. I strongly suspect that EGT's come down pretty much imeadiately and the delay in them dropping on the gauge is just the gauge probe cooling off and some delay built into the gauge. What really matters is allowing the turbo itself to cool off so it doesn't cook the oil from heat-soaking I think. This is all just my guess, I have no real data on it one way or another, but if I'm right, going by the pyro would be a pretty arbitrary for knowing when to shut down. I usually let mine idle for 5 minutes after driving at freeway speed before shutting it down. It takes much less time than that for the pyro to drop to 300 deg F.

just my 2c

btw my pyro is an isspro and fairly new.

dbarilow

over worked
Reaction score
I idle around 250-300 max out around 1100 cruise around 500-600 pyro is in the manifold between cylinder 7 and 8 (I think)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeshmoe72