Moosestang update

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't mentioned my diesel Bronco project for a while, so I thought since we've had some movement, I'd post a report. The Bronco has been sitting mostly, waiting for what happened last weekend to take place. Thanks to a good BOOB crew, we got the front clip, and powertrain out of it, and now it's ready for the 2" body lift and sand blasting that needs to happen to whack at the rust. I'm still keeping my eyes out for some Dana 44 spindle assemblies, and a good 3.54, or 3.07 Dana 70 or Ford 10.25, as I'd like to switch to 8 lug axles to maintain compatability with the fleet. There was a raft of stuff I wanted to do to the 6.9 before I put it in, but I'm afraid time and money will force me to press on without much going on there. I've got a 351, an AOD 4X4 and a 2WD C6 to sell to generate some cash for the 4X4 C6 rebuild I need to have done. I won't be able to do much until that is ready to go in. I'd also like to get a higher efficiency torque converter for it. Probably won't really get much more done to it between now and the end of the month.

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
nice! that's going to be one trick bronco, Mel. :hail

i'd been wondering about the progress - now we know.

deezlwex

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sorry I had to miss this one after helping with the original 6.9 removal, but I'm ready to help put things back together. ;Sweet

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I posted a lot of the gasser parts for sale on FSB.com and they are moving like hotcakes, so that will help keep the project moving forward. Anybody know where I can get poly body bushings?

Reaction score
Energy Suspension carries them. You can get them at any jobber. Daystar has them as well, but they are a little tougher to find.

You may also know about This place, but if not it is the bomb when it comes to Broncos. They have some stuff for our pickups as well.

Good luck Mel. It'll be a fun project to watch materialize.

Paul

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey that's a great link! Thanks. Didn't know about that one. Even guys from this forum will appreciate the body parts available there.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mel, check out LMC truck too, you can get catalogs for all of our specific body styles, I have one here for 1980-1997 F series trucks, pretty good stuff in it. Scotty

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Scotty. I'm already on their mailing list. Good stuff. I've been thinking about what kind of badges I want on this thing. Since I'm sticking a lot of F-350 parts on it, I was thinking of calling it a B-350. What do you think? I know for used B for the buses, but hey, it's a passenger vehicle right?

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That would be pretty sweet. It would make a pretty hard core fourwheeler with the diesel and one ton suspension. Anyhow, maybe you can get some billet badges made from the same guy that made HeSuttons badges. Those were nice and looked really good and you can get anything you want on them. Scotty

troutwest66

Ricer-Roni The IDI Treat
Reaction score
Hey, Mel. One thought before you start adding to the Bronco. Why not get a ZF and transfer combo from a wrecked 7.3 instead of the C6? You get the manual you like plus the OD. After all that work I'd hate to see a slushbox in that Bronco. That will be cool truck when it's done. You'll have to see if Stacey on TRUCKS will do a feature on it. I know you're taking plenty of pictures along the way.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mel, I've thought a lot about it. I'm going to go with the automatic simply because I feel that I need to in order to be able to at least talk about them inteligently on the boards. I've ignored them most of my life, and at a point where curiosity is getting the better of me. My good mechanic friend at Stoner-Wade is going to mentor me on rebuilding the one I have some Saturday, and I'll get to do it right there at the dealership with all the special tools at my disposal, so it's a very educational opportunity. Additionally, the Bronco has sentimental value to my wife, and it may end up being one of the kids some day, so ease of driving will be important. I'm also likely to use it as a chase vehicle when railfanning, and it's hard to beat an auto when your taking pictures while driving. ;p If it works out in the end that the C6 is a pain in my butt, I can always do the swap then. For now, I'm going to try and keep the cost of the project down and go with what I have.

beretzs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The C6 is a stout set up, I am almost going to bet my next paycheck that you will not hurt a good rebuild Mel. I am not the easiest guy on trucks, and my C6 has been stupidly reliable (knock on wood). Plus, if you get some good gears in that B-350, it should get good mileage, and be a really honey to drive. I like manuals, but for everyday in SoCal, Autos rule the roads. Scotty