Mixing Oil

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have 1 gallon of AMSOIL and 1.5 of Delo. Would like to use them both up to clear space in my garage.

Same weight.

Can I succesfully mix these oils? I believe I've seen elsewhere that mixing oils is not a good idea.

Thank you,

Mike

Whit

Reaction score
Mike, I have heard the same thing too but I once (since I didnt have a choice) used a gallon of Dello 400 with my Amsoil with no ill effects.........................I would say if you can try to use one or the other up seperatly, they are both quality oils though.

Cheers, Kevin

Nickbf2504x4

ATV Racr-IDI Driver
Reaction score
as long as they are either both regular or both synthetic you should be fine...i believe thos are regular oils ;Sweet someone correct me if im wrong :hail

Whit

Reaction score
I think he is talkin dino on the Delo but I did hear somewhere that Delo was ****** out with a synthetic :confused: anybody know the poop on that?

JimmyDee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both Mobil 1 and Amsoil tell you it is OK to mix a synthetic and a dino oil together. Think about it. When you first change to a synthetic in a Powerstroke, you leave 2 qts of oil in the engine and it is mixed with the new oil. I is not and never has been a problem to mix the two types of oil.
Jim

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds good. Probably not going to run this oil for long anyway, as we're moving in 6 months and I'll have new oil in the truck before pulling the car or my wife's truck cross country. Just want to get rid of these and back to the cheap stuff. AMSOIL's $53 for 2.5 gallons... just can't bring myself to spend that with fuel prices being what they are.

Mike

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Mike,
AMSOIL is cheaper in the long run because you don't change it as often.

But to each his own...

soulpatchfr

goat herder
Reaction score
Mike, DO NOT by any means mix that oil! you should box that gallon of Amsoil & send it to me - i'll make sure it's good & then send it back after about 15k miles :D

i usually try to buy enough Amsoil to maintain until the next change, but when i don't (almost always) i've never been concerned about topping off with different oil throughout the year. almost 1/4 million miles & still smokin' ...

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
Heck with shipping it all the way to over to Va. just ship it to Indiana.... Much shorter shipping distance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86