Missing, Sometimes?

Dambnicetruck

DAMBNICETRUCK
Reaction score
Missing, Sometimes?Can anyone come up with something?HELP

Hey people, need some help. Got a 94 7.3L ATS Turbo, runs awsome, starts cold real good on about 1 crank! My problem is when its at running temp. Runs great, but if I shut it off and let it sit for a half hour then start it, it runs, but seems to miss. Puffs some blueish smoke too. If I hold down the pedal at about 900/1000 it runs smooth, and goes away after holding it there for about 1 minute. If I drive right away, it puffs alittle blue but goes like normal. Regular times I get no smoke at all. It doesn't always do it. It almost needs that half hour wait to cause it to happen. If only 10 - 15 min, it starts up runs great??? I thought maybe a compression problem or something because blue means oil burn, but I loose absolutely no oil at all between changes, and for a diesel it doesn't even get too dirty.(6000km interval changes). I think I might have an injector spraying poorly when warm. Any Ideas, I'm kind of baffled. Is there a way to test injectors, or is it just replace? Honestly the truck runs like a dream, and quite smooth for a diesel. Good mileage, no over heating, lots of power as far as I can tell, although I don't know of another to compare against. This seems to be my only problem. It never stalls, just that miss, like one cylinder tops. Please , help . I know nothing about diesels this is my first one. Although I have been reading all you peoples posts, and damb you can learn alot here. Appreciate any help, thank you. :confused:

Last edited:

bsays

Longgreenford
Reaction score
Sounds like a return line leaking, Engine gets hot, shut it off for awhile it cools off some and draws air into the fuel system, might not be it but it's worth a look, check all your return line fittings for leaks.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems to me that, if it were an air leak in the fuel return line, letting the truck sit longer than the half hour would make matters worse, to the point where the engine'll start, shut down, and take a lot of cranking to re-start. I could have it off, but while I wouldn't rule out the return lines, I also wouldn't bet the farm on it.

My gut instinct is saying that there's an injector pump issue...these pumps typically last about 100K miles before needing to be replaced, and especially if this problem came up gradually, this could be the very beginning of a pump failure.

Yes, the injectors can be tested...you need a special tester, though. Probably best to find a diesel shop that'll test them, then pull the injectors out of the truck and bring them in. Bad news is, these injectors aren't really user-rebuildable...so, if one is found bad, you really need to replace it. You can get rebuilt injectors, but the price difference is typically minute enough that you may as well buy new. If more than two or three injectors are bad, I would just replace them all.

Hope this helps some...good luck!

Dambnicetruck

DAMBNICETRUCK
Reaction score
I had "O" rings leak when I bought it, so I got the return "T" kit, went on slick. No more leaks , all new tees , all new lines between tees. Looked at the injectors for leaks too. Can't see anything, the motor is real clean and never leaked other than the tees. I should have spotted it if there was a leak. Thanks for the tip though. Any other suggestions that might be it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86