Missing Manifold Bolt

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Over the past month or so my truck had started leaking a few drops of oil on the ground after driving it. It wasn't a lot but it hadn't previously leaked any so I wanted to at least track it down. It was dripping off of the starter, onto the exhaust, and then on to the ground. I know anything in the valley pan runs back and out the drain which lands it on the starter but my valley pan is *fairly* clean. I started looking around the valve cover areas and noticed quite a bit of oil but my real concern came when I seen I was missing the very back exhaust manifold bolt. My question is would the bolt missing here cause this much of an oil leak? I know that bolt needs replaced anyways and I'd say the gasket would need replaced too (probably wait til spring). But I really can't tell if its coming from the manifold, VC gasket, that pipe plug on the back of the head, or the HG itself. I had wiped the manifold off in this picture but it was wet with oil where the stain is right behind the flange. Any input is appreciated, Thanks

You must be registered for see images attach

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I too agree with valve cover gaskets are leaking. Might try tighteneing them but..Once they leak they seldom ever stop leaking.

adamsanders

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea for sure, I’ll just go ahead and get a set and change them out the next decent weather weekend. Thanks guys.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
You'd have to be burning oil in huge amounts to have an oil leak out of an exhaust manifold.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance