MIRRORS

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score
I want to change my camper type low mount wester mirrors to swing lock type. I found these left ones on e bay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-OE...Parts_Accessories&hash=item5409438aed&vxp=mtr

Are the left and right brackets the same? I know the right has a convex mirror which I think is the reason for the a different part number. Also what is the advantage/ Disadvantages to the ones that have the bolt on top vs underneath? This is more than I want to spend but my buddy has 7 of these and the chrome is rusted or wont they wont pivot. I bought a cheap $40 set and they are junk and I'm returning them.

Attachments

• $_12.JPG
    $_12.JPG
    15.2 KB · Views: 100

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure on the mount... I think they are the same for either side. But the difference is in the mirror head. One is the convex mirror you already mentioned, and on the factory mirrors the back side had a different shape that was side specific. They were "aerodynamic" in a way the back was thicker on the door side of the mirror than the street side of the mirror. If you looked at them from the top, they kinda had a teardrop shape to the back of the mirror...... one side is fatter than the other.....

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I am often tempted by Ford mirrors or various repops but don't wnat to spend premium money if they'll just be junky magnifying glass like all the other replacements I've had. All my original mirrors over the years have given a nice wide field of view, while every new replacement has been like looking through binoculars. Magnifies one small area and I can't see anything for towing, backing, or having any idea what is in the next lane. Terribly annoying and unsafe. I suspect it's some government mandate that mirrors must magnify things instead of provide a useful and wide field of view. Can anyone confirm what mirrors have a broad field of view like factory mirrors in the 80s did?

mobilemech

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the brackets are the same, the mirror head is the difference, shape and the convex. i would go to a pick and pull and get them, 8 to 12 $'s ea.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set just like these on mine. Tiny, worthless for backing or towing, and they rattle incessantly while driving.

terryh

Reaction score
I also have a set like that on mine and Needlenose is right - They are worthless for backing or towing. I've been debating on getting the extenders to slide them in and out or try something like this:
You must be registered for see images attach

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a set of extenders for the factory mirrors on my 1992. I use them when towing my buddies big enclosed car hauler. Otherwise, I can see around my flatbed just fine. The extenders let the mirror head vibrate a little at highway speeds, but you can see whats behind you long as you don't mind it being a bit "fuzzy".

Best tow mirrors on the market right now are on my 2014 Tundra. You can see EVERYTHING with them. It's a shame there's not a nice, clean way to retrofit a decent tow mirror on these old trucks. I've seen guys put Dodge/Chevy mirrors on my welding a plate over the wing window, but to me it always looks like an afterthought, rather than a nice, application specific mod.

Ryan

ironworker40

NYC Ironworker
Reaction score

With the swing lock type bracket you can use the low mount western mirror head and pivot it out when towing if needed as seen on this picture. When not towing flip it over and pivot it in. They have a larger field of view. Works well I have done this before on another truck. I need to be able to fold my mirrors in thats why I am changing them. Also it will fold so if someone clips it you don't have a bent up door.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set just like these on mine. Tiny, worthless for backing or towing, and they rattle incessantly while driving.
Agreed COMPLETELY. If you don't tow with your truck, you'll be okay with the baby mirrors...otherwise, I would reconsider. Whenever I drive a truck with the baby mirrors, I feel like I'm blind to anything behind the doors...

It's your call in the end, but if you have an opportunity, I would suggest driving a truck with the baby mirrors and see how they work out for you before committing yourself to swapping...maybe your experience will be different and you'll like them better... :dunno

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online