Mileage Question

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
1993 F-250 4x4 Reg Cab Long Bed Tail-Gate Up and a perminant plow frame on the front. I got a smoked e4doa that snaps my neck when its done slipping in between shifts. I got stock intake stuff with wide open pipes ******* all the neighbors off when I roar out the drive on the way to a fire-call at 3 am.

I been getting about 12 mpg no matter what I do, City or Highway, fast or slow. I expect with-out the plow and with the tranny fixed and some other tune-up parts and goodies and ideas it will increase. As soon as I can afford it I am gonna swap in the zf5 and do the gear vendors thing, but that might be on another truck.

What happened to all the guys that were telling me about the 20+ mpg in the city and even better on the highway. And getting 15+ towing, where are they, cause they must have been in remedial math class or something. (Don't worry it wasn't anyone on this site, I only got on this site after I got the diesel.)

Well pretty soon it won't matter too much, gonna be making my own bio-diesel and the milage should go up some more too, not that it matters at $0.50 a gal, so I say screw the oil companies, make your own, other wise I am gonna have to start stealing it.

*** Edited ***

Just got done, fixing the electrical problems. I had taken for granted that the P.O. had put a clean air filter on when he did all the tune up work on it before selling it. I doubt it though b/c I think that the truck had the dirtiest air-filter I have seen to date on something still running decent. So after a few minutes with carb cleaner and a rag on the housing, and a shop vac to the old filter, till I can get a new one tomorrow. I had it somewhat cleaned up I bet the new filter and clean housing helps with the mileage a bit, as far as breathing in goes. here's hoping to that.

Last edited:

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
firemedicmonkey said:
1993 F-250 4x4 Reg Cab Long Bed Tail-Gate Up and a perminant plow frame on the front. I got a smoked e4doa that snaps my neck when its done slipping in between shifts. I got stock intake stuff with wide open pipes ******* all the neighbors off when I roar out the drive on the way to a fire-call at 3 am.

I been getting about 12 mpg no matter what I do, City or Highway, fast or slow. I expect with-out the plow and with the tranny fixed and some other tune-up parts and goodies and ideas it will increase. As soon as I can afford it I am gonna swap in the zf5 and do the gear vendors thing, but that might be on another truck.

What happened to all the guys that were telling me about the 20+ mpg in the city and even better on the highway. And getting 15+ towing, where are they, cause they must have been in remedial math class or something. (Don't worry it wasn't anyone on this site, I only got on this site after I got the diesel.)

I get 20+ empty on the highway and 15+ towing. Haven't done enough city driving to really know, but I'd guess it to be 15-16. Oh, I had the highest grade in college calc class for three semesters straight :Sly

82fordtruck

Reaction score
bikepilot said:
I get 20+ empty on the highway and 15+ towing. Haven't done enough city driving to really know, but I'd guess it to be 15-16. Oh, I had the highest grade in college calc class for three semesters straight :Sly

So you're one of THOSE guys.

I worked my ass off to get c's in those classes - all the engineering calc and dif eq classes. That was all I could do. I was always about a chapter behind. It might seem things haven't changed.....?!?!

82fordtruck

Reaction score
firemedicmonkey said:

Well pretty soon it won't matter too much, gonna be making my own bio-diesel and the milage should go up some more too, not that it matters at $0.50 a gal, so I say screw the oil companies, make your own, other wise I am gonna have to start stealing it.

*** Edited ***

Just got done, fixing the electrical problems. I had taken for granted that the P.O. had put a clean air filter on when he did all the tune up work on it before selling it. I doubt it though b/c I think that the truck had the dirtiest air-filter I have seen to date on something still running decent. So after a few minutes with carb cleaner and a rag on the housing, and a shop vac to the old filter, till I can get a new one tomorrow. I had it somewhat cleaned up I bet the new filter and clean housing helps with the mileage a bit, as far as breathing in goes. here's hoping to that.

yours is abnormally low. I have a CC dually, and get about 14-15, but I have to baby it.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Oh, I had the highest grade in college calc class for three semesters straight
Congratulations! I wish I had that capablilty...I was barely able to get through statistics in community college (and that was only to satisfy the minimum math requirement, and for whatever reason, I handled stats better than trig)...I don't miss math one bit!! :puke: More power to all of you math whizzes out there ;Sweet

82fordtruck

Reaction score
The Warden said:
Congratulations! I wish I had that capablilty...I was barely able to get through statistics in community college (and that was only to satisfy the minimum math requirement, and for whatever reason, I handled stats better than trig)...I don't miss math one bit!! :puke: More power to all of you math whizzes out there ;Sweet

I believe statistics and math are two very different things. Stats are for people with nothign better to do. I think the majority of that class was pure ********.

I flunked stats by the way. I can do differential equations, but not stats.... Go figure. I think it just takes a different type of person for that.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
I believe statistics and math are two very different things. Stats are for people with nothign better to do. I think the majority of that class was pure bull.

I flunked stats by the way. I can do differential equations, but not stats.... Go figure. I think it just takes a different type of person for that.
I tend to agree re: stats...completely worthless unless you're going to be a full-time statistician. I don't remember a thing from that class. IMHO it was a waste of time, but I needed to meet a GE requirement, and I've struggled with math ever since middle school. Even now (particularly since skills have slipped; it's been 4 1/2 years since I took stats, and 7 years since I've done anything else), I can't do anything more than basic algebra (except plug in numbers in a few navigation-specific equations)...

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
what do full time statisticians do?
To quote my dad (who was paraphrasing Groucho Marx), "If I knew that, I wouldn't need talcum powder."

(boy, this thread went off-topic LOL)

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
82fordtruck said:
what do full time statisticians do?
I'm basically a full-time low level econometrician (i.e. applied stats) now. In general we figure up a theory of why something happens and what causes it. Then we collect loads of related data and do fancy statistical analysis on the data to see if our theory is supported by the facts and how strongly. Various companies and govt orgs pay huge amounts of money for a bunch of phd types (and a few worker bee's like me) to do this sort of thing. They take the results and use them as a basis to formulate new policy, that will hopefully improve the situation. Used correctly, statistics can be very useful, but of course you can also torture the data to make it say whatever you want should you be interested in obtaining something other than the truth. This is where organizational reputation is important, as well as having very qualified reviewers etc.

Math, stats and econ come easy to me, but other things are a struggle (like languages and those fluffy humanities type courses :puke: ) For example, I struggled to get a B+ (worst grade I ever got in college) in Classical Studies, but worked very little to get an A+ in calc III. Also, "worked very little" for me is probably still more hours studying than most folks ever consider. I was just a really determined student and gave up any hope of having fun in order to study all the time in college. Its just how my brain is wired I suppose. My wife (was my gf at the time) took the same classics course and got an A+ with very little work, but has to work hard to get the same grades in math classes (of course her "working hard" involves less studying than my slacking off, just because I'm not a quick learner). The only classes I can actually get by with minimal studying are econ classes. Most undergrad econ courses I'm fortunate to be able to pull off great exam scores and paper grades without reading the required books or paying too much attention in class - it just works for me.

Oh, when you get into linear or matrix algebra the line between math and stats gets very blurry. Stats is all based on pretty complicated math and is just the application of various mathematic principles.

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Math is for girls!
I've got a torch, a 220 stick machine, a square, and a tape measure. When I'm done I'm like damn! It's like I planned it that way! :thumbsup:
You must be registered for see images

It doesn't look like the 6.9 or the 7.3 will work for what I want which is mucho bang for the buck. The 4BT still sounds like the ticket. I know I'll never get the mileage out of the motor that I put into it with the swap. What I want is distance. The ability to go far between fill ups. I have a 30 gallon tank and 2 5 gallon jerry cans so 40 gallons of fuel. (Damn, I'm developing bumps!) I'm guessing around 8-10 mpg right now with my 351W. I'm running a stock autolite 2100 carb off of a 71 P/U because it's the only carb I've found that will do what I want which is drive at wierd angles.

Thanx for the help and advice guys.

bikepilot

Turbo IDI
Reaction score
Any diesel will run at nearly any angle (it'd run upside down till it locked up from oil starvation). A diesel would probably save you some fuel, but its going to weigh a lot more, don't know if that'd be an issue off-road.

Guntherx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
B4 US Gear O/D 10 empty; 5-8 towing
After 11-12 empty; 8-10 towing
I regularly pull 18,000 to 25,000

BigNorm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bikepilot said:
Any diesel will run at nearly any angle (it'd run upside down till it locked up from oil starvation). A diesel would probably save you some fuel, but its going to weigh a lot more, don't know if that'd be an issue off-road.
Weight is a definate issue. It's the main reason I removed my top and tailgate. Location of weight is a factor too. I don't think becoming tippy would become an issue from bolting up a diesel since it sits so low in the chasis. The factors start appearing when you've got traction yet too much weight. Something has got to give. When the vehicle is lighter it can break traction easier thus saving hard parts. Drivelines are usually the fuse in the whole system when it's built strong. Drivelines are expensive but most wheelers will prefer a broken driveshaft to say a broken differential. I need to get some spares for my own use plus materials so I can fix what gets broke on the trail. Things I like about diesels in a 4X: being able to drive at wierd angles. Torque. The ability to carry a large amount of fuel. Increased mileage. Reduced fire hazard. Very few wires to run.
Things I don't like: Weight. So you can see my tradeoffs are more in favor than not. The 4BT at 800 lbs would be the best bet IMO. I've heard the 6.9s and 7.3s weigh in at over 1000 lbs. You've got to consider that at even 800 lbs I'm weighing in motorwise more than twice that of what my 351W is. Decisions decisions. Just so you guys know I have a Dodge 2500 with a 6BT cummins. It's a joy to drive and I do tow a travel trailer with it during the summer months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ealiaga12