Mileage between Oil Changes?

DMcV

Reaction score
I recently switched to synthetic oil , Shell Rotella-T 5 / 40 Wt.
I have been getting mixed information on how long I should go between oil changes.
Can I get some in put from you experienced fella's as to how long I should go?

Thank You very much.
Dennis

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran my 7.3 (and my 6.0) 5000 miles between changes. I found that going much beyond that made her run rough. If you are going to go extended oil changes I would highly recommend a secondary filtration system AND a good oil analysis program.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
purchasing the extended life oil filters will extend the oil life beyond the 5000 miles, over the highly popular Motorcraft/Napa/conventional oil filters.
Air filtration is also a top priority, any dirt passing into the engine harms the engine and also contaminates the oil as well.
the same as oil filtration, there are companies that make air filtration that are superior to mass produced/advertised disposable filters.
it is your money.

Of course oil analysis once a year will help decide how well the oil/engine condition is.
Reading and understanding the reports is another ballgame in itself if you are just learning about it.

Me personally, I use much debated practices with lengthy intervals beyond 30,000 miles in multiple vehicles with no issues other than experts telling me I cant do it.

10,000 miles with Rotella SYN is possible, does anyone have a oil analysis report with Rotella SYN? It would be nice to compare there reports.
Javier

DMcV

Reaction score
Thank you Javier,
Extended life oil filter (?) can you tell me the brand & place to purchase them please?
Does it simply repalce the stock Motocraft oil filter ? I thought I read somewhere that the Motorcraft was better than most (?)
I was hoping for around 8,000 miles, as the Rotella T SYN is rather expensive....and it would be nice to get a few extra miles. I am aware that it is much better for this engine etc.
Thank you for your reply.
Dennis

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My last oil change was at 7800 miles with Rotella 15W40, I use the larger filter almost twice the size of the regular one. Blackston oil analysis showed no significant wear or problems with the oil. Made a 6000 mile trip on that oil change pulling 20K loads most of the way, had about 1500 miles on the oil before the trip. If you can weigh a new filter full of oil and then weigh it after 5000 miles that will tell you how much "dirt" it's filtering. Get a Fumoto drain valve in place of the pan drain plug, you can take a sample real easy to send in for an analysis, also it makes changing oil real easy, no oil running down your arm. I get my filters at an IH dealer $12 ea..

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you Javier,
Extended life oil filter (?) can you tell me the brand & place to purchase them please?
Does it simply repalce the stock Motocraft oil filter ? I thought I read somewhere that the Motorcraft was better than most (?)
I was hoping for around 8,000 miles, as the Rotella T SYN is rather expensive....and it would be nice to get a few extra miles. I am aware that it is much better for this engine etc.
Thank you for your reply.
Dennis

I dont have my cross reference book in front of me to give you all the numbers available from different manufactures, to make it easier
Amsoil sells an high efficiency filter that is rated for a minimum of 25,000 miles, part number EAO99 for your engine.
The airfilter from AMSOIL is good for 4 years or 100/000 miles and will collect contaminates below 1 micron AKA dust from entering into the engine and engine oil.
That should help you get over 10,000 miles in the least, from the oil.
I have a close buddy that has a 7.3 with over 30,000 miles on his lubricant.
3 years ago when we added AMSOIL to his engine he reported the morning romps he would get when he first cranked up completely disappeared, to this day!
Depending on the style air filter you have I have a panel air filter for the 7.3 still new in the package.
maybe it works for your application.
I will take a picture and post it up.
Javier

DMcV

Reaction score
Thanks again Javier,
I recently replaced the stock air filter with and AEM cold air ram intake, (see my signature photo).
I'll be looking for the Amsoil high efficiency oil filter for my next change.
Great information, thank you.
Dennis

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Dennis: Can't reply to your message, you have to open up your messages to get replies. Typed for 20 minutes couldn't send to you. Will try later.

aaklingler

Reaction score
My last oil change was at 7800 miles with Rotella 15W40, I use the larger filter almost twice the size of the regular one. Blackston oil analysis showed no significant wear or problems with the oil. Made a 6000 mile trip on that oil change pulling 20K loads most of the way, had about 1500 miles on the oil before the trip. If you can weigh a new filter full of oil and then weigh it after 5000 miles that will tell you how much "dirt" it's filtering. Get a Fumoto drain valve in place of the pan drain plug, you can take a sample real easy to send in for an analysis, also it makes changing oil real easy, no oil running down your arm. I get my filters at an IH dealer $12 ea..

What is the part number of the filter you use? Does it filter any finer or anything?

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

HJohnson

Reaction score
What's the consensus on time-limits between changes? My truck sits a lot, usually only drive it 5-7k a year. This past six months, its only gone 1600 miles.

Seems a waste to change all that oil after only 1600 miles, but what say ye?

Thanks!

If it matters I use Rotella dino

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle

Members online