MB OM617 powered Wrangler or VW TD powered Sidekick?

Kiwif150

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cherokee came out factory diesel here .... the early ones had a 2.5 VM diesel in them. As far as diesel in Suzuki the vitara (tracker) came with a factory Mazda R2 turbo diesel in place , they were very economical and got along the road pretty well. The smaller samurai here was popular in flatdeck and a few guys swapped LD20 nissan engines into them ..... diesel here is about a third cheaper than petrol.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
om617 xj is my vote. I have an xj that I will one day do this exact swap on.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Cherokee came out factory diesel here .... the early ones had a 2.5 VM diesel in them. As far as diesel in Suzuki the vitara (tracker) came with a factory Mazda R2 turbo diesel in place , they were very economical and got along the road pretty well. The smaller samurai here was popular in flatdeck and a few guys swapped LD20 nissan engines into them ..... diesel here is about a third cheaper than petrol.
Earliest(up until 94) had a Renault-sourced 2.1 turbo diesel. The J8S engine.
I have an 85 with one in it and its hard as hell to get engine parts here in the states(I can order anything I want or need from Europe or China though...). the 2.5 came in 95.

The 2.1 is pretty not powerful. Buuuut it is cool. And I get 21 mpg in my XJ. I got it on the road in July and have put 10k on it since then.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I saw you mentioned expedition/overland type use.

I came across this thread when I first started thinking of a diesel swap after I discovered my new-to-me Mazda B2600i had a cracked head.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/my-mazda-diesel-expedition-project.29762/

I found a Dodge Ram 50 for $900 400 miles away and bought it on December 28th.
I started driving my MazdaBishi around today. I'm pretty stoked on it.

My wife asked me to total up the cost of my conversion today. I'm sitting at just under $2000 including buying both trucks.

I have no regrets.

I'm a cheap ****** and any of the swaps(om617, kubota v-series, vw) that I looked at doing to other rigs(another xj, a 4runner, samurai or sidekick) I'd have that or more between an engine and adapters.

I also did a few things the hard way on my build. Mainly because of lack of research on my part.

Brighammer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's nothing to shake a stick at. Including vehicle purchase price that brings the swap right down into the cheap category. Lots of people pay that just for a drivetrain and pay that again in adapters!
Tell my wife that! Lol
That was one of my requirements for starting this project: I wanted it to be as damn near a bolt-in swap as it could be, because adapters are expensive, and so are new transmissions and transfer cases.

Our original plan was to save $$ throughout the year and get a brand new crate engine. But then that Dodge popped up on Craigslist and I knew what I had to do.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On another note, the guy who inspired me to diesel up my Mazda also has this: https://cdalejef.smugmug.com/Trucks/My-LWB-Diesel

I am not sure if he built it or not. But I think a lwb Samurai is pretty rad.

Sent from my E6833 using Tapatalk

I'm on south India right now and the LWB Sammis are very common, I'll snap a few pictures. If I could only figure out how to get one in my luggage...