May have found a turbo for my remote mount....

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am in the works of remote mounting a turbo under my truck, I have found one off a eagle talon, Model TD05H, I have done some reserch and all sites say they will handle about 300hp, cfm 550 and an exaust A/R of .70 and compressor of .49 with a trim of 45, From what I see these are wastegated units, do you think my 6.9 would benifit from this or is it too small. OUt of curiousity what is the specs on say a banks or hypermax, ATS turbo for these trucks, also I think that these are water and oil cooled, would I have to use the water ports or could I just use the oil? Thanks for the help.

Last edited:

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
Okay, my truck with my gearing at 65mph (2500rpm) uses 321.9 cfm of air. So to find the max boost that will be able to put out you take:
(500cfm) / (300cfm) = pressure ratio = 1.55

Then take:
[(1.55) * 14.7psi] - 14.7psi = max boost = 8.13psi

So, my bet would be you'd probably want something a little bigger...but take my info with a grain of salt.

6 Nebraska IDIs

Reaction score
Make darn sure its a real garrett. If the car belongs to some half ass ricer, then he probably bought a no name turbo for his car.
If it doesnt say Garrett or Air Research on it then forget about it. Those TD05H no name turbos last about 10,000 miles then the bearings go out.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
would I have to use the water ports also, or just the oil? It say air reserch on it. Do you think this turbo is going to choke the motor at higher rpm? Try it or no? thanks

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
DieselGuy,

Please keep this thread open and updates as to your remote turbo install. 6-8 psi is all i want for my IDI. I just want enough to pull hills at regular speed. You may have found what I want....

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
payable, how much of a differance would it be that you have 25 cid on me, I am running the 6.9 with c6 and 3.54 gears. wouldnt it need less cfm?

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
would I have to use the water ports also, or just the oil? It say air reserch on it. Do you think this turbo is going to choke the motor at higher rpm? Try it or no? thanks

If it's got water ports, then it sounds like a water cooled turbo, so yes, you'd better hook them up.

----------Robert

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
payable, how much of a differance would it be that you have 25 cid on me, I am running the 6.9 with c6 and 3.54 gears. wouldnt it need less cfm?
It'll make the max boost go up as the pressure ratio will go up. Not sure what you run RPM wise so that's why I included speed and RPM to paint a picture...so what RPM do you turn at 65mph?

You can just use the oil, using the oil and water would be optimal and not that hard to pull off though. The water helps keep the oil from coking in the turbo. I'd give it a shot if you already have it and are itching for a build. You sound to be about in the same position I am with my build. The hard part is the piping and oil system, the easy part is the turbo. If it's too small/big/etc you can always change a couple flanges and put a different turbo in ;Sweet

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you'll have an awful lot of improvement even with 8psi at 2500RPM, with my ATS non gated turbo I have yet to see more than 6 and that is REALLY standing on it...but that was with a worn out pump and lots of leaks. To find max boost you'd want to use that formula at around 3100-3300 rpm.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all the help, I will defently keep an update on the progress. Not really sure what I am running for rpms at 65.....No tach.....but then again this truck rarely sees 65mph. I am going to be working on it this weekend so I should have some updates here in the next few days. Once again thanks for all the help.

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
hey guys, thanks for all the help, I will defently keep an update on the progress. Not really sure what I am running for rpms at 65.....No tach.....but then again this truck rarely sees 65mph. I am going to be working on it this weekend so I should have some updates here in the next few days. Once again thanks for all the help.

No problem, let me know what I can do to help. What are your plans for an oil pump?

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
so what about plumbing the oil? could you just run a regular line to the turbo then put a check valve on the turbo and just have a regular line back to the pan? do you really need a lift pump? wouldent the pressure keep things mooving along?

payableondeath6

Impressively Ugly
Reaction score
so what about plumbing the oil? could you just run a regular line to the turbo then put a check valve on the turbo and just have a regular line back to the pan? do you really need a lift pump? wouldent the pressure keep things mooving along?

Just like Barney's setup and countless other remote setups I've seen, you'll need a check valve pre-turbo and a decent quality electric pump post turbo...if not you'll have all sorts of oil problems