Max towing weight

Joey D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see guys who haul more weight than the factory says you can, is it legal?
If GM gives you a GCWR of 23,000 can I register the truck and trailer for say 35,000 GCWR if the trailer is rated for it and I don't exceed the axle ratings on the door and have the proper lic?

rip van sparky

Reaction score
Here in ohio if the trucks gvwr is more than 10,000 comm truck tags are required, or if you license it comm. then you as long as you have purchased the weight on your registration they don't care what you haul, you are allowed up to 12k on the steering axle, 20k on drive and each trailer axle, they know that the manufacturers way underrate the actual capacity for warranty and liability issues, and leave the weight limit up to you. Obviously you aren't going to have a one ton (10 or 11k gvw) weigh 32k, but it's not a big deal to have one weigh 16 or 17k lbs. The best thing you can do is call the regional director of the commercial carriers enforcement department of the highway patrol. Regular patrolmen don't have any idea so I wouldn't believe anything they said. It took me a long time to get answers to this same question here. good luck

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Staff online