Max boost before heads lift?

Jake S.

clueless...
Reaction score
I run 10 psi no load when i shift at 2500 rpm. At 3300 it will hit 14 psi. On a cold day (-15) I can hit 18 maybe more. Have been running like that for four years since I got it and who knows how long before that and no probs.

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Man I would love to see some pictures of your turbo setup! Since you have run both the Banks and the S400 can you give us any feedback on power/driveability/etc comparing the two?

Bowedup

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Jake S, thanks for you boost info! Is your ATS wastegated or nonwastegated? Do you tow much w/ your setup? What kind of egts do you see w/ 18psi of boost?

Bowedup

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

runaway!

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would think just cold water splashing on a hot turbo housing is a recipe for disaster....

bowedup2003

Reaction score
It looks like the turbo is on a bracket made of angle iron and plate. I'm sure the owner will chime in but my guess is the turbo is below the frame so he had room to connect the exhaust elbow pictured as well as the cool side tube going back up to the engine. I would imagine it would have been a tight fit to get that big of pipe on the turbo between the trans and framerail.

Bowedup

safd1919

Full Access Member
Reaction score
idk about that i think it would of fit maybe spin the coolside foward or maybe alil smaller turbo but were here and hes there so i cant judge its a cool idea

bowedup2003

Reaction score
I agree that is a cool turbo setup! That turbo makes the Banks Turbo look tiny! What would a turbo like that originally have came on? Judging by the pics it looks similar to what goes on a 3406?

Any idea how much boost it is putting out at full song on your IDI? My guess is our engines would be fuel-limited with something that big?

Bowedup

razorback

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the setup is designed like that due to space.. i tried to put cold side on the drivers side but it would mess up the plumbing to the intake, it was also about 4 -6 inches lower than that as well, that setup also made it easier to run piping to the intake. the reason its lower is due to the exhaust, only way it would fit and it us tucked under as far as possible, what you cant tell is i angled the first part of the downpipe down, with as much of an angle as possible to give me a little more ground clearance, its not AS low as it looks but it definately wouldnt be an off road truck. i plan on putting a plate under the turbo to protect it from misc crap and road debris.

as far as what it is on, 87 f350 6.9 idi 4 door long bed dually.

highest ive seen boost wise was around 10 with a weak pump, and no load (got a new turbo pump put on). ill start daily driving it in a week or two and ill have more verdicts on performance. but it does have more lag than the banks.. i couldnt tell when banks kicked in.. this one you can, because its a surge. ive got a few things to finish up before i DD it (water seperator rebuild, skid plate and make sure timing is good)

i dont know what the turbo would of been on, whatever a schwitzer 400 would be on, large farm equipment probably. i know they are used on turbo mustangs, ls1s, rotary engines (friend has one on a 3 rotor) etc. and its what they use for the large compound turbo on cummins, powerstrokes, and duramaxs. dont know what max boost is.. im afraid to go over 15psi.. ill probably find out the hard way..

Last edited:

bowedup2003

Reaction score
Razorback, even not finished that is definately one of the coolest projects I've seen anybody try on a 6.9L in a long time! I can't wait to hear how it runs once you get the new pump on it!

Somebody had mentionedcearlier that another guy has his turbo mounted under the truck like this, anybody know where I could look at some pictures of it?

Bowedup

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
bowedup...not sure about finding more pic's, but I have been debating doing a twin turbo remote mount on mine for awhile....study up on remote mounting...I have been doing it for years in gasser's and there is alot of myth and BS out there.

I have never had any ill effects, and with roper planning lga can be controlled via hose sizes, and your charge air will naturally be much cooler as the length of the run is almost like an intercooler effect.

fcdrifter13

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am running a stock ats turbo up to 15psi with an intercooler, I need a bigger turbo and run about 8psi would be great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin