Marvel Mystery

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In theory, there is enough of the latest lubricity additives in ULSD to not be a problem for us. The potential issue is that these additive are not mixed at the refinery but by the distributor or retailer. The refineries put out unadditivized, industry standard base fuel, so a regional Chevron, Shell, Terrible Herbst or whomever distributor can add their proprietary/advertised stuff into it and make it theirs. Therein lies the potential rub. Sometimes they go a little light on the stuff. Early on, fuel was gathered from various areas and tested. The results were across the board from just right, a little off, way off and even almost totally lacking. Human error, cheating... probably a little of both. Everything I have is from the '06-'07 era and I haven't seen anything recently. I spoke to my local Shell fuel distributor off the record in '09, and he said the name-branded Corporate entities were aware of the problem and pressuring their distributors to do it right but what about the fly-by-nites is my comment?

ULSD isn't really so bad as long as the lubricity is where it's supposed to be. It's a little down on BTUs versus the old #2 and has a bit less viscosity, but the average Cetane Index is higher than it used to be by a coupla points.

In '07, I had a great test set up where we were going to use a dyno mule to test the various fuels, including bio. It all fell thru at the last minute because (somebody) claimed the college's brand new engine dynos weren't compatible with the available diesel mules engines. They had a diesel dyno but it was really old and not very accurate. Diesel Crawler might have been at the school in question when this was being set up. Later, I was able to get the Diesel Club's puller engine on the dyno for a series of buildup stories but there wasn't time to test the fuel thing. The school has a running NA 7.3 but it's been doing nothing but idle for decades so who knows how it would do on full power runs, even if I could con them into adapting it to one of their dynos.

BDCarrillo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Short track roundyrounder? (1-8 mile)LOL 1/4 mile.
What about an addmix of the good ole stuff missing from ulsd or whatever the fuel is called now?
Must be a reason the petroleum ind. does not add any good stuff and raise the price?!
Would seem to be a good thing.

Straight lines and one turn at the end for me!

The good 'ole stuff is primarily the sulphur (sulfur, whichever). It was a good lubricity agent but also a main contributer to pollutants. Off course, nowadays it has to be removed and replaced with other agents, which increases cost (and tax revenue)...

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to come late to the party. I'll toss a little chemistry in there. These are just observations based on the properties of acetone from a chemists perspective. I certainly don't claim to be an expert in combustion enhancement -that's not my particular field- so take this for what it is- a scientists opinion. It's a common solvent used and it is ******* a lot of plastics and rubber. At a rate of 1-2 ounces per gallon that's about 1 part in 32-64 I doubt there is any tremendous effect. What I can say is that it certainly provides no lubricity. It's a polar compound that is miscible with water and can help pull water into fuel at sufficient ratios. It is a ketone and hence is carrying one oxygen atom per molecule which could be beneficial to aid in combustion. I'm not sure what it would do to cetane rating but as with ethanol in gasoline, it may raise the octane value at the price of energy content. It's a small molecule with few bonds so there just isn't much there to burn. The viscosity is low so it may have a small effect on the overall fuel viscosity properties. Without having my solvent compatibility table handy, I can tell you it is extremely ******* nitrile rubber and I'm going to say that viton is (return line oring material of choice) is also not happy in it.

So if you take all that together, and for me, the possible harm far outweighs any possible benefit. I certainly wouldn't put it in anything of mine.

Last edited:

PwrSmoke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great explanation, much of which I was actually able to grasp. I didn't bookmark it, but last night I found a posting on another diesel forum of some internal pump seal that were deteriorated, allegedly from acetone. Sound like long term exposure isn't a good deal.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They did not call it Mystery for nothing!cookoo

It is a mystery why you wont change the oil instead,:dunno

put in some Mystery oil see if it really is a mystery.:love:

$12 quart of oil is no mystery. :rotflmao

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member