manual trans fluid

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever you do, DO NOT OVERFILL !!!!! the only thing that you will accomplish by doing this is to overpressure your seals and wind up with lubricant on your nice new clutch. If you dig around you will find TSBs on this from basically every tranny manufacurer in the world. They set lube levels to where it has to be dipped up by the lower gear cluster and carried to the upper cluster and runs back down into the bearing shaft. THis is a tried and true design. If you attemppt to dampen the shock impulses in the top shaft by bathing it in oil, you are exposing the seals to lube under extreme pressure that they were not designed fo, they were only designed to deflect spray.
Thank you! I had read a few very non-specific warnings about overfilling the ZF5, but none went into detail about it.

As far as clutch position, any time you throw an aftermarket clutch in, especially with a flywheel change ( especially if spacers were missed ) you can end up needing an adjustable clutch master pushrod. About $11 at Napa will take care of the clutch adjustment problem
I would think a re-clocking of the arm/lever coming down off the pedal pivot shaft would be in order as well; if the bulk of the action is way down at the bottom, this should compensate for most of it.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
would a qt. of slick50 help at all?

IT's nothing but teflon and no, that stuff has been proven time and again to do nothing suspended in oil . about the only thing it speeds up is cash jumping out of your wallet

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I want to run an external VENT tube off my trans up into the engine comp, and I cannot find where it freakin vents from....anyone?????

Sorry to hijack just hate new threads sometimes when a good transmission thread is going...throw in some new info!

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I tried all the different oils and different oil levels. They help some when the oil and tranny are cold, but it comes right back when everything heats up. What helped mine the most was setting the idle speed up a little bit. Try it. When you are sitting there trying to listen to the radio, lightly put your foot on the throttle and raise the idle speed up just a tad and see if 90% of the noise goes away.

kawamatt

Reaction score
Hey, I want to run an external VENT tube off my trans up into the engine comp, and I cannot find where it freakin vents from....anyone?????

Sorry to hijack just hate new threads sometimes when a good transmission thread is going...throw in some new info!

The ZF5 has a vent up near the cup plugs that hold the springs and detents in the case for the shift rails. Top of transmission right in front of the shift housing tower. See the threaded hole?
You must be registered for see images attach

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tyler9828

Members online