major issue with a 99 7.3.need help ASAP

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ive got a 99 thats being a nightmare.i know nothing about it other than what im gonna tell you now.it acts like its running out of fuel.

Truck came to me for glow plugs,wire up the rear lights and trailer plug(hauls a 4car wedge trailer).

Took it apart to do the glowplugs and found mud,dirt and dust in the intake pipes and intercooler.i cleaned everything out the car wash,put the plugs in and wouldnt start.put a cps in it,fired up.sent it in its way.get called cuz it died.alternator crapped out on it.

Replaced the alternator,had the driver run it around without the trailer.was fine,drops it off for a caliper.send it on its way,get called again.

I borrowed a scanner.had idm codes in it.replaced the idm.running beautiful!had it running at the shop for 4 hours yesterday,letting it idle,holding it at 2500 rpms,driving around the yard(didnt have the repair plate to run it on the road),it was fine.send the driver on his way to get the trailer,5 minutes later i get a call.i run out to it,fuel pump sounded funny.i got it running and tried to get it to the owners yard,acts like its running out of fuel.i pull the pump off his parts truck and put it in on the side of the road.i drove it for 45 minutes beating the snot out of it with no problem.hooks the trailer up and i get another call,doing the same thing.

He bought this truck with no body on it and i remembered he said he put a filler neck on the fuel tank cuz it didnt have one.so i called to see if somebody stuck a rag or something in the hole to keep snow and water out of the tank.he said no but the vent tube was kinked closed.AHA! That might be the problem.swapped fillers with the parts truck and i get called again.same damn thing sitting dead on the side of the road.and here i am.

Im gonna try a filter even though it appears to have been replaced recently.

A guy in the shop next to said something about the cab and chassis trucks having a silicone lined tank.he said he had one doing what this one is doing.he said the lining was seperating from the tank and getting sucked up into the pump and filter.any truth to this?

Im at my wits end with this truck.this truck needs to get fixed TODAY!hes losing money every minute this truck is down.hes diwn to one truck right now with 60 cars that need to be picked up and delivered by Wednesday.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
heres a shot in the dark, hows the EBPV?
when i got my truck running for the first time, the EBPV was stuck closed, i thought fuel issues too,

based on the truck running ok after a fix then "defueling" does not sound like a clogged line.
or it wouldnt run right after you did those things.

does it have an exhaust brake ontop of the EBPV?

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think i got it.rust in the fuel tank.

I put a filter in it,cleaned the rustmud out of the bottom of the fuel bowl.couldnt get it to start.opened the filter drain while the pump was running.fuel just trickled out.

Unbolted the sending unit an whacked it around with a screwdriver handle,dropped it back in.truck started.owner had a piece of c channel welded across the tank incase the trailer comes unhooked,cut that off and pulled the sending unit out.stuck my arm in 40 gallons of fuel fishing around for a rag or plastic bag,got nothing but chunks of rust.so i took the rubber foot\screen thingy off.took it for a beat run.

Last time i talked to the driver he was at the auction getting loaded running great.so i gotta wait till he runs it out of fuel and clean the tank out.

trackspeeder

Stone crusher.
Reaction score
Ford had issues with the steel tanks. They had a TSB for rust or tank lining failure. Sounds like you have the rust version.:eek:

94f450sd

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i heard from them,truck is doing great so will be swapping tanks with the parts truck this weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
720Diesel

Members online