Major Engine Problem 7.3

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my son and I pul everything down to the valve covers today in prep for a engine removal. wel pulled the right side cover and low and behold the a valve on the #3 piston is gone and suck into the piston. Also the pushrod next to it is bent in a C.

I do believe I have a broken piston and block.

More on what is wrong later.

MARQ2277

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yep, your oil cooler,head gasket, or hydrolocking has taken place. sorry brother. yes. the 6.9 is a drop dead drop in without questons. only problem is the weight, it is heavier than you think, and a lot more, it is freakin' very heavy, hheeaavvyy. caution, the engine weighs a lot, and it is heavy

sorry about that, but it is heavy.

Marq

rodymartin

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it apart. OH NO

Well we took the head off. I knew it had sucked a intake valve. After the head was it was interesting the nimber 3 hole has a hole in the cylinder wall. The cylinder wall has a hole in it. the head to the intake valve wasitting on the piston which was cocked to one side. Then we pulled the top of the piston out. The connecting rod is bent so bad that you can see the connecting rod cap fron the cylinder.

Now to get the 6.9 in the truck.
I think I am going to pull the valve covers and pan first to check things first. Just to check things out in the engine.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ah man, thats not a pretty sight. I'd not only check the valve covers but replace the head gaskets in the 6.9 as well. Just make sure you follow the correct reverse torque sequence for loosening those head bolts. I'd hate to see you put that 6.9 in there only to have a head gasket leak soon. I don't think I'd worry about the bottom end unless you have low compression, low oil pressure a bad knock or some other reason to be concerned. You could pull the pan and plastigauge the bearings and rods if it makes you sleep easier. Just make sure to get it sealed back up right. Its not an easy think to take out of an engine in the frame.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online