MAJOR Engine Failure!!!

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Not sure exactly what happened but I was running down the highway @ 70mph & stepped down on it to pass a truck. Big bang, oil front to back underneath & just for S&G's I trid to restart it. Nada, cranks badly & no restart. Top of the motor is dry, everything from the valve covers down is soaked in oil. I can't see a hole anywhere but it's hard to look with hot motor oil dripping in your eyes. It was running great just prior to the bang. Chip was set on 80 HP & I wasn't ******* the pedal. Had about 1000 lbs of truck tires in the bed but that shouldn't have any affect.

I've had many bad things happen to the car haulers this week so I'm knee deep in Peterbilt parts & don't have time to investigate this myself. I had it towed to a shop I haul for with instructions for them to just locate the problem. Can anyone give an opinion based on what I've said? I'm thinking a rod let go or I popped a head. Would a head dump oil everywhere? Motor has about 154,000 on it. I can't imagine I was pushing enough boost to pop a head though. For Christ sake, I can't even push 30 PSI of boost.

Please chime in-cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss -cuss

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds ugly Scott........... rod, crank or somehow cracked the front cover is my guess.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Shop called & said they can't see much on quick inspection & will look more closely when they get a free bay on monday, but he did tell me whatever happened was on the left side of the motor. He says no compression when cranking either. Also said it seems to be oil soaked from the base of the head down.

How much **** gets destroyed when you throw a rod or crank? I guess in short, what am I facing? A new motor or can you rebuild/repair after something like this? I know the answer isn't definitive until I know what exactly is wrong but give me some hypatheticals.

Russ

Idont do injectors
Reaction score
Sorry to say, if a rod or crank fails it's more than likely a total loss. Really bad things happen when a rod lets go.

69oiler

I don't feel tardy
Reaction score
wow that sucks. i know you have been having problems for a while with your PSD. i'll be interested to see the diagnosis.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Sorry to say, if a rod or crank fails it's more than likely a total loss. Really bad things happen when a rod lets go.

Let's say that it was one of those two scenarios. I know some the nasty stuff that happens but would things like injectors specifically (only 3000 miles on them) & other internal parts be salvageable to swap to a new block?

Also based on the info I've given what would be the best case scenario that could dump oil like that?

As if there was a bright side to this, I would have to say it's this: It didn't crap out with the 5er hooked up & the wife & kiddies in there. That would have been very BAD. Also, the wife has suggested getting it running again & selling it........to be replaced with a new truck. I almost **** when she said that. I'm not opposed to selling this one but I won't be buying a new one. I might try a OBS cream puff though.

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also based on the info I've given what would be the best case scenario that could dump oil like that?

Best case scenario might be the oil cooler took a huge crap and oiled everythign down and you have an angry midget troll in your oil pan with a hammer making all the racket when you try to start it.

hugeredford

snow drift buster
Reaction score
did they check compression? if they did they would have had to have the valve covers off. Were any of the valves dropped? Water in oil? If you were super lucky just a rod And oil pan and crank magnafluxed. If it did break a rod/drop valve probably at least one hammered inj tip.

Last edited:

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
did they check compression? if they did they would have had to have the valve covers off. Were any of the valves dropped? Water in oil? If you were super lucky just a rod And oil pan and crank magnafluxed. If it did break a rod/drop valve probably at least one hammered inj tip.

Nope, all they've done is look around. I'll get it back here Monday or tuesday & start digging into it I guess.

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
DAMN Scott....that sux cookoo

I can't recall whet years the PMR {powder metal rods--as opposed to the desired forged} were in but I do remember some guys having air conditioned blocks when juicing them.

What does "cranks badly" mean.......crashing metal pieces.....bump and klank.... :dunno

Mike

Stroker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah, Scott's got the PMR's in his 03 for sure but I find it odd that they failed (IF that is what failed) with just a little bit of fuel added and a chip is all. PMR's will hang tough up to 400 hp. The root cause of this failure will be interesting for sure.

apextrans

What Log Book????
Reaction score
Cranking sounds sorta normal then some banging & klattering. I have PMR's. I think there may have been something already wrong or getting ready to go inside that I couldn't have known about. All the previous hot ******* may have worsened it & it just gave out under normal conditions. Just doesn't make sense any other way. Like you said, my motor isn't hopped up enough to break anything.

So onto my next set of questions: I would start a new thread but the same guys would be there that are here. Thanks to everyone for the help by the way. I'm assuming whatever this is is really bad

1. What is involved in pulling the motor? Should I pull it? I've heard the cab has to come off/up. What if I went out the front? Does that work?
2. What is included in a long block?
3. Will any 7.3 block work

I'm freakin' tired of all the crap with this truck. I think I'm gonna get it fixed & get rid of it. It's a shame 'cause I've fixed so much **** already & put alot of money in the trans.:confused:

TLBREWER

Windy B Ranch
Reaction score
Scott

Don't drop in here very often. Man that sucks. I know you've put a lot into getting this "new" truck right. Sorry I don't have anything else to add.

Tom