MAJOR AIR IN FUEL

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
hello and thank you looking at this..

1989 7.3L stock fuel system. new IP. ran out of fuel? put fuel in, bleed. starts. runs. drives 1 block, dies again.

truck wont start. replaced fuel return line kit. new olives in line to IP from filter and from lift pump to filter. check valve shows fuel pumping out. had air till i replaced the 3/8 inlet olive for filter.

removed line going into pump showing fuel is coming out. removed tank line to run on small tank. can only pull start it and it takes awhile. it will run but not idle. yesterday it idled for 1 minute then died.

im ripping my hair out. turning it over with ether still doesnt help. yes i know its bad.

if i remove a IP line to injector.. maybe 3 drips of fuel come out after cranking for awhile... today when it died again i hit the schrader valve and AIR...

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
sounds like you have an air leak somewhere between your tanks and lift pump. i have had this happen to me where under hard acceloration my engine started going wonky but had fuel pressure. the line clamp to my fuel pump was not super tight or had worn in to the rubber some. there was actually some fuel seeping out at the connection. either way tightening it stopped the problem.

have you ever tried to use a straw that was cracked from your kids messing with it LOL same concept, a small leak in the vacuum side of the fuel system before the lift pump can let in a lot of air.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I just got it. My previous small external tank ended up running low and I have the same symptoms again yesterday. Iran of larger tank and now the problems fixed. When I ran out of fuel I hit the tank valve even know the guy told me around the back tank.
sounds like you have an air leak somewhere between your tanks and lift pump. i have had this happen to me where under hard acceloration my engine started going wonky but had fuel pressure. the line clamp to my fuel pump was not super tight or had worn in to the rubber some. there was actually some fuel seeping out at the connection. either way tightening it stopped the problem.

have you ever tried to use a straw that was cracked from your kids messing with it LOL same concept, a small leak in the vacuum side of the fuel system before the lift pump can let in a lot of air.