Maintaince items

Optikalillushun

Reaction score
Im gunna be needing to change the oil in the ol girl soon and replace the fuel filter. i know the PO did *** regularly but for my own piece of mind im gunna do them (it is almost due).

so anyways, where do y'all folks get ur maintaince items from? id rather buy in bulk since it is cheaper. i've been surfin e bay and found some luber-finer oil filters (case of 6) for $70 shipped. also seen motorcraft filters for around the same for a case of 6. BTW, those are for the PSD filters.

now what about the fuel filters?

and lastly oil. i seen wal-mart is now carrying (least around here) 2 1/2 and 5 gall jugs of rotella T. probaly pick up the 2 1/2 gal jug. but i also seen they have delo in the 5 qt. jug...i dunno whats better.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oil preference always comes down to owner experience. Everyone seems to have there own favorite. I personally use Lucas magnum 15/40, but I'm sure that I'm the only one on this site that goes that route. Use what you are comfortable with.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could be a reason that it's cheap? No offense to those who use it.

I work for a Lucas dealer, so I get it cheaper than most, but it's still higher than the normal el cheapo places.

I never really thought much about the difference in the brands before the Lucas rep pointed out the facts to me.

He wasn't the normal "mine is better than everyone else's" crap pitchline.

We took on the line because myself and the general manager of our company spent many hours talking with him and discussing the product in excessive detail.

As it turns out, he claimed that most major brand name producers are all a very similar product that are just packaged in a different colored jug. I'm sure that many users will disagree.

It takes a lot for me to change my thinking, but now I am a lucas man.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally use Lucas magnum 15/40,

I've heard of LUCAS all my life, but I never knew there was such a thing as LUCAS engine oil; I thought they only made additives.

Do you have a link to the specifics ??

To answer the original posters question, beware of all the bargain-barn oils of recent production, regardless of major brand name on the jugs.

Our brilliant government has decided that good old CI-4 oils have something in them that mess with the emmissions systems on the new diesel trucks; so, they have made a new formula requirement for CJ-4 oil, that IS NOT backwards compatible with the old CI-4 oils, as it doesn't have all the wear-preventing and acid-neutralizing goodies in it.

A very few makers are still offering CI-4 rated oil, John Deere, Schaeffers, and a very few others still have it.

Also, beware of the info in the SAE circle, as it will often state CJ-4/CI-4/etc.

If it says CJ-4 anywhere in the specs, then it DOES NOT have the additives of good old CI-4.

I have read numerous accounts of oil-tests from this newer oil showing much advanced break-down of the anti-wear package, thus necessitating much more frequent oil-change intervals.

Just because it says 15W-40 Diesel Oil on the jug does not anymore mean that it is good for the engine; you should do your homework before making a decision on an oil purchase.

WildWest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the rotella T thats what comp cams suggest breaking in a new engine with .

I also like the 2.5 gallon jugs at wal mart the price is a little better than a per gallon price.

My only grip with 5 gallon buckets is i save old 5 quart jugs and refill them with a funnel or on use a suction gun which is a PITA>

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've heard of LUCAS all my life, but I never knew there was such a thing as LUCAS engine oil; I thought they only made additives.

Do you have a link to the specifics ??

To answer the original posters question, beware of all the bargain-barn oils of recent production, regardless of major brand name on the jugs.

Our brilliant government has decided that good old CI-4 oils have something in them that mess with the emmissions systems on the new diesel trucks; so, they have made a new formula requirement for CJ-4 oil, that IS NOT backwards compatible with the old CI-4 oils, as it doesn't have all the wear-preventing and acid-neutralizing goodies in it.

A very few makers are still offering CI-4 rated oil, John Deere, Schaeffers, and a very few others still have it.

Also, beware of the info in the SAE circle, as it will often state CJ-4/CI-4/etc.

If it says CJ-4 anywhere in the specs, then it DOES NOT have the additives of good old CI-4.

I have read numerous accounts of oil-tests from this newer oil showing much advanced break-down of the anti-wear package, thus necessitating much more frequent oil-change intervals.

Just because it says 15W-40 Diesel Oil on the jug does not anymore mean that it is good for the engine; you should do your homework before making a decision on an oil purchase.

http://www.lucasoil.com/images/medialibrary/magnum_15_40.pdf

BigRigTech

Diesel junky
Reaction score
Yep, hard to beat Rotella for good oil....Makes those dirty ol' Detroits last 1,000,000 miles before a rebuild no problem....I get my Rotella bulk at work for $2.11/L CDN amd my Fleetguard oil filter for $6. Fleetguard makes good stuff. I only change my fuel filter every 2nd service and even then it's not really needed but it can't hurt.

KR69IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you.

A five-gallon pail of John Deere CI-4 15W-40 recently cost about $65; approximately how much does a five-gallon pail of the LUCAS cost ??

Where is this stuff available ??

Thanks.

I'll have to check on monday. I will warn you, it ain't cheap. Any Lucas dealer should be able to get it for you.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll have to check on monday. I will warn you, it ain't cheap. Any Lucas dealer should be able to get it for you.

How long of a change interval do you run with the LUCAS ??

It may be the cheaper option.

greythorn3

wheelordie.com
Reaction score
if you got a leak and keep adding it, its like having new oil all the time.. just change the filter once in a while.

Ray

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance