Mahle Turbo Pistons & Bad Idea

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I talked to some design engineers at Mahle Inc. in Tenn. today. I told them I wanted a set of turbo idi big pin pistons for my design turbo idi motor. They said that they wouldn't reccommend them in my non turbo motor even after I told them I was upgrading to the turbo big pin rods. They thought the small pin pistons would be a much better choice. They know I have been running a Banks Sidewinder turbo at 12 lbs of boost for years too. I couldn't get them to tell me why the small pin pistons would be better. I told them that at the very most the motor would turn about 3200 rpm because I don't seem to ever run it much faster about 2900 rpm most of the time and that it would be balanced but still they thought the big pin pistons were not the answer. So, does anybody know whats going on here? Are the turbo cranks differant in any way from the non turbo cranks? I know the bearing sizes on both rod and main journels are the same so what gives? I will be talking with them again on Monday when I place an order so I'll post more info then. They were closed and just finishing up the calls they had gotten today.

Freight_Train

Traitor to the brotherhood
Reaction score
Thats what I was thinking.3MM OD more heavy steel VS light aluminum.Maybe thinner around the pin hole(AKA weaker?).

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I know they will be heavier because of the larger pin mass but I don't think the pistons would be weaker in any way. What I do think is that these guys didn't really understand that these same cranks and blocks can run a heavier pin with proper balancing. Thanks for the thoughts though. This is the best place for any information on these motors. I really wish somwone had an idea of who helped on the design of these motors. I know their out there somewhere with loads of information just waiting for someone to ask the question.