Machine Shop in Tulsa

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
...........I am sure somebody will disagree cause the fact's hurts his wittle feelings...

Javier
good information but please dispense with the baiting. I'm getting way too many complaints that the board is run too loose.
consider yourself warned. next time will result in a vacation and I don't care if you started it or not.

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
Thanks for that, Calvin.

I do not disagree about bore taper causing oil consumption, but I have never heard (on this forum) anyone complain about it. Usually, it seem the cavitation gets to the bores long before they have wear problems.

When rebuilding my 6.9, there was no bore taper to speak of on an engine with 100,000 miles on it. Maybe the diesel rings are not as high pressure as gassers, maybe the engine block is harder (my machine shop commented on this), maybe it is because of the piston coolers pouring oil on the cylinder walls constantly that keep the bores lubricated and straight. I dunno.

Oil loss can come from multiple locations. If you don't have a leak, you have to look at rings and valves. I like the valve stem/ seal wear theory because the engines will be very happy to run on extra oil, no matter where it comes from. And they don't really show any difference in the tailpipe or performance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vinceslamer

Members online