Machine Shop in Tulsa

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know a reputable machine shop in Tulsa that can do the guides in my heads? I'm betting one of the guides is allowing oil to get by and cause my oil consumption...currently at a gallon every 100 miles.

Thanks.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Before you go pulling the heads you need to look at the valve seals first. If they are worn out you can replace them without pulling the heads. I have the special tool for that. Valve covers need to be removed. Then remove the rockers and install the tool but you need to have that cylinder piston at top dead center. That keeps the valves from falling into the open cylinders. Remove the valve keepers, the retainer and spring. Then replace the seal and reverse what you just did. Check the valve stems in the guides too. If they rock lots then its guide and valve job time. Rotate crank till the next piston is at tdc and repeat.... You can do both intake and exhaust valves at the same time when the piston is at top dead center. Both valves will be closed and the piston is about 80 thousands lower in the cylinder that the valve is. So it can only drop that much...

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm already into it. I'm thinking the head gaskets are due anyway, so I'm just going to bite the bullet and have the heads done. I can't imagine seals would allow that much oil to pass. Although, it wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Ok then.... Be sure to use a bottoming tap on the threads in the block. Cleaning the block is a tuff job sometimes. I use a single edge razor blade and brake clean because it wont leave a film after it drys off.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
If you don't mind taking a *little* drive to Little Rock, AR, we have a top notch diesel specialty machine shop here. THey do the rebuilds for the IH dealer here( and a number of other dealers as well, they even do cranks and cams for locomotives there.... we're talking a serious diesel shop here ;Sweet They do very nice work, and for guides that aren't too far gone , they can pop in false guides for a fraction of the cost of full guides ( if there's enough meat left on the existing guide, they bore them out to accept an insert instead of having to press out the complete old guide and reset a new one, saves a fortune )

oldmisterbill

Grumpy Old Man
Reaction score
If it helps I have a surface gauge to check for warpage. There is a shop here that I used once for a different problem. Seems to be a straight shooter.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
shades call bobby with stk speciality 9187404989. we use him for our machine work on our equipment and they are very good. they are located in broken arrow just off of lynn lane

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
even if you rebuild the heads if you have cylinder wall taper, that is the source of the most oil use.

You must be registered for see images

many people dont realize this.

You must be registered for see images

Easy to check when the heads are off more than .004 worth of wear and you are going to be using more oil, and the oil will get dirty sooner.

just the facts.

I am sure somebody will disagree cause the fact's hurts his wittle feelings...

Javier

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya and I would have to re-ring the motor, possibly even re-sleeve it. Considering I have oil in 2 or 3 intake ports on the head, I think I have guide problems. It might not take care of all the oil burning problem, but I'm thinking it'll take of at least 80% of it.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya and I would have to re-ring the motor, possibly even re-sleeve it. Considering I have oil in 2 or 3 intake ports on the head, I think I have guide problems. It might not take care of all the oil burning problem, but I'm thinking it'll take of at least 80% of it.

I think freshening the heads and changing gaskets is a great idea, especially since the guides are pretty notorious for going after excessive mileage (when you hear the "chuff noise" the pin on the grenade is pulled :eek:). I would consider at least asking about valve springs as their easy to change while you are in there.

In case you can't tell: I am considering buying another set of heads and having them redone so I can do a weekend swap as mine is getting close to 250K.

Keep us posted on the before and after oil consumption.

jcarr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey shades any good reports on the oil consumtion prob?

nyteshades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hey shades any good reports on the oil consumtion prob?

Found another motor and 5 speed trans for $900 and went that route. Every shop in town wanted at least $650 for the heads. I figured for another $300 I could take care of my grinding 4th gear problem as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk

Members online