Lug Nuts

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a set of re-conditioned factory aluminum wheels and looking for info regarding correct lug nuts.
You must be registered for see images attach
Some of the information I'm finding seems to indicate proper lug nuts are important to securely hold center caps in place. Incorrect nuts allow caps to fall off? Thanks!

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do your center caps attach? Factory centers attach to the rim with 4 tabs. Those look like aftermarket caps. Some of the aftermarket have a metal ring in them that friction fit on the lug nuts if I remember right.

I'd go to the parts store and look up factory lug nuts for like a 96 F250. I think they take a 7/8" socket. I've got factory aluminum wheel lug nuts on my truck steel even though I'm back to steel wheels.

Those are nice looking rims. Where did you get them?

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire shop would be the best place to start.
Nice looking rims there..

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Photo was from the ad on EBAY, not the "exact" wheels I bought. You're correct, center caps in photo are aftermarket because the FORD name is missing from the rears. Wheels I bought came from Perfection Wheel in Indiana and were supplied without lug nuts or center caps. Figured I'd buy FORD center caps. During my search, every set of factory wheels I found had finish issues mostly from wheel weights, anyway buying these seemed like the best alternative. Perfection re-conditions factory wheels by first sand blasting, re-polishing and then apply clear powdercoat finish. They look good, and I can't wait to get installed.

Ford005

Reaction score
As Junk said, they use a standard 7/8” hex, open end acorn lug nut.

Stock centers use 4 tabs to secure them. Most aftermarket rear centers use a steel ring that ‘pinches’ around the lugs...I’ve lost both, lol!

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dang, I'd hate to lose them. Best price I found on a pair of rear FORD centers is $153.00 pn# F5TZ-1130-J. Anyone know any tricks to insure they stay put?
You must be registered for see images attach

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran these wheels for years and never lost a center. Not sure why though. Mine were new take off when i got them. So if you have new caps i dont think you will have much issue.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ran these wheels for years and never lost a center. Not sure why though. Mine were new take off when i got them. So if you have new caps i dont think you will have much issue.
With the help of your reported success, I ordered a set of factory original center caps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online