Low Sulfur Fuel?

swampdigger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spent the afternoon poking around under the hood of my beast--one of my favorite activities. I noticed on the injection pump a plaque that said "Not to be used with low sulfur fuels"

Isn't everything we get from the pump nowadays low sulfur? Should I be tossing in some sorta additive to counter this?

I also noticed that my intake looked a bit wet and gummy. I'm guessing from the CDR valve, and a bit of blow by having 400k km on the motor. Any advantages to venting this to the atmosphere, rather than my intake?

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Yes You can add some power service/standyne/Lucas or the like and I believe it sure helps. Also the rdt does help to keep the intake clean and the cylinders in the back less hot but it all depends on how much does it bother You a little blow-by from the crankcase.

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
If Canadian diesel is like ours here in the US, you should be adding PowerService in white bottle (or equivalent) to EVERY tank of fuel. If you don't, you'll be rebuilding that IP more often than you change the oil!!! I use about 1 pint/tank of Powerservice. cookoo OkieGringo

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've always recommended adding a lubricity formula. Some guys will tell you that you don't need it. It's mostly a matter of experience and preference. If you search the web, you will find more articles that say you need it, then those that say you don't, and the current lubricity requirements are designed for modern engines, and not rotary injection pumps, so I don't care if the fuel meets spec. Who's spec? Not mine.

RedTruck

Reaction score
In reference to pump longevity and low sulfer fuel.

I talked with my pump builder about this a few months ago. He said he's seen a definite rise in pump rebuilding since low sulfer fuel has been a requirement. He did say that once the pump is rebuilt they have been getting very good life out of them. He seems to believe that it's not the low sulfer fuel that's killing the pumps. It's changing from the old fuel to low sulfer fuel that seems to be killing them.

He's mostly noticed this on refer engines which would probably be running an inline pump.

Paul

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
Isn't the power service in the white bottle for antigell as well? I always used the silver bottle.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I run 4 oz of Stanadyne Proformance in every tank. I do this for several reasons. Mostly I want a clean system that is well lubricated. I never run a tank dry just to see how many miles per gallon I'm getting. Remember, these pumps are lubricated by the fuel they pump and have cleanances way less that 0.0001. The rest of the system is cooled by the fuel also. The injectors need this cooling. Pumps cost lots more than Stanadyne does and Stanadyne is easier to use and replace.:D

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i run a quart of tranny fuild with every other fill up

just aheads up but i have heard that tranny fluid will test you positive for off-road fuel with the red dye. its cheep but i would hate to have a jacka$$ come down on me leaving me to prove it wasent off-road to try to get my money back.:rolleyes:

hypermax22

sled puller
Reaction score
yeah i know they can then it becomes a prob but they dont usally dip tanks unless you have a fuel cell in the bed around hear

OkieGringo

OkieGringo aka Baja
Reaction score
Isn't the power service in the white bottle for antigell as well? I always used the silver bottle.

I use the white bottle in winter and the grey/silver bottle in summer. I think the silver bottle has a higher cetane boost an the white bottle does have the anti-gel properties. OkieGringo

firemedicmonkey

Erie Surf and Ski
Reaction score
how good is the tranny fluid, compared to the power service. i can get tranny fluid for $2 a quart, not sure about the power service any more. sounds like my biodiesel is gonna be the answer to all the worlds ills! lol

geonc

SPIDER BAIT
Reaction score
how good is the tranny fluid, compared to the power service. i can get tranny fluid for $2 a quart, not sure about the power service any more. sounds like my biodiesel is gonna be the answer to all the worlds ills! lol

Just a word of caution on using ATF...remember ATF while certianly light viscocity is intended for friction coupling.....in other words --abrasive!

Think about why pro painters that spray need to replace the tips on high pressure spray equiptment....or why diesel inj nozzles/plunger/barrels need to be replaced or why inj pumps wear out.....any liquid compressed and delivered in an atomized state wears metal so why inject a known abrasive cookoo

Not trying to start a war on lubricity preferences but Diesel Kleen, Stanadyne etc....is a wise choice over ATF.....:cheers:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Seven4eight

Members online