Low oil pressure reading on the factory gauge

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am getting readings right on the N on the factory gauge (NORMAL) low<---->High

engine gets warmer and it occasionally goes a little lower than that. Normal readings have been around the R or so.

I am going to put a new gauge in tomorrow then i will be able to tell for sure. Low oil pressure scares me more than anything else.

the sender is on top of the turbo, i plan on putting a new sender in somewhere else, to see if that has anything to do with it.

any suggestions?

If none of that works, i am going to change my oil (2000 miles on it right now). truck consumes almost no oil.

116K on odometer.

It appears as though i am leaking a touch of oil off the filter. I am hoping that it is just the filter that is a hair loose, and not something else. degreaser and some rags and we will know for sure i guess.

any suggestions?

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and some other possible info that might help.

I took a 740 mile trip right after having my engine timed. everything was normal then.

oddly enough, it seemed to start happening right after i put my seats in and hooked up power to them. so i unpluged power to them, but that did not change anything (hey, ya never know, right?)

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just checked out another thing. (remember i am pretty new to these IDI's)

pulled the CDR(?) hose off my intake, and the hose was streaming out smoke consistently. Is this normal? my powerstroke out blow some out, but nothing like this was doing. I suspect that it is ok, because like i said, i consume almost no oil.

deanj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why are you putting in another "idiot guage" (they are called that for a reason) Use the port on the turbo oil block and put in a mechanical guage - now you know what the pressure is.

ttman4

Last Nite's Dream..
Reaction score
Hi in the Cascades, Nearly- Redmond,Oregon
Sometimes the electrical connection on the factory electrical sending unit may get crudy & need cleaning.....just wiggling the connection where it slips on helps sometimes.
Several years ago I kept cleaning & wiggling my connection & it got to where it wasn't helping so I changed my factory idiot sending unit & Presto, I gained oil pressure back to like a "new" factory engine.
I now run a mechanical guage.

And Now I believe that overhauling these engines is a JOKE, Just buy a new oil sending unit!!!!:Sly :Sly

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Senders wear out. There are some tests in the factory manual that you can do to determine if the gauge is faulty or not. Of course you know that you really need an aftermarket gauge to get a good reading. I like the factory gauges to read normal also, just for looks, so I can appreciate your concern, but I can also tell you that these engines don't have a lot of oil presure at idle, and that the chances of you really having an oil pressure problem are not that good. If you did, it would probably be that little spring and ball deal in the oil filter header. Yes, these engines have lots of blow-by, and that's pretty normal too. I'm not sure how they fixed that on the PSD, but these are some very old school engines with great longevity, and very bad manners. LOL

MTIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
;Sweet

Got the gauge in and everything looks fine. stupid stock "instruments".

:thumbsup:

i guess she can stay for another month.;Really