Low boost

Hydro-idi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also after regarding my timing back to the 5-6ish it was set to by the shop it smells like raw fuel and smokes at idle until warm. But it seems to run smoother and a little less clattery. But power didn't change

Timing should be set to around 8-9.5 btdc. You might see increased boost psi and you’ll for sure get more power out of that engine.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a maxed out stock pump on the shelf still, the numbers concern me along with feeling like it should have a little more power because typ4 is running off a turned up stock pump and he's seeing 19 psi on his setup and we basically have the same thjng besides he has a 3 inch exhaust housing. And I just have a banks dp upgrade

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a pressure gauge post-filter on it? You might be starving for fuel higher in the revs/at WOT.
if it's just a restriction and no air, the engine won't surge, it will just be.. anemic, and quiet down a bit when floored(less fuel pressure = less advance)

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pressure guage installed where Schrader valve was located on filter head. 5 psi drops to 4 with revs

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Make no mistake, my engine is nowhere close to stock..
I did have a tiny leak when I switched over my intake hat and I lost a lot of boost pressure.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Free rev 4, maybe like 4.5 it's hard to tell just a cheap mr gasket guage I got. Motor vibration makes the needle bounce a little. Im gonna dig back into it tomorrow morning, intake hats coming off, cleaning top of motor to spot leaks easier and taking off wastegate to tighten it. If boost only dropped 2 psi with cooler instal then my leaks wouldn't be cause by cooler instal. It could be my intake hat or manifold?. I checked my exhaust side when engine cold and running by feeling around for leaks.

Macrobb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take your mr.gasket gauge and a cheap 'oil pressure gauge' line kit(usually copper). Run the line from the port on your filter, over to the side of the cowl right at the end of the cowl seal and then up and out between the hood and the cowl. Use a zip-tie to mount your gauge to the cowl on the driver's side, where you can see it while driving. This way you can remove it easily wih nothing permanant and it keeps fuel out of the cab.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When looking for leaks, look for oil trails on the intake side and soot trails on the exhaust side. Just to add a data point, I’m only making 10-15 psi on my setup most of the time. I’ve got to be wot towing to see close to 20 and it seems like i’m pretty much digesting my bull moose at that pressure (overdrive on the freeway so think 2000 ish rpm). I think I’m still leaving a little on the table via small exhaust leaks but overall driveablity seems really good. I’ll know better after I get a full towing season in. I’d like to knock a little more EGT off mine to try to get my water temps down just a hair for some more safety margin there.

Pressure is just a number remember. We throw it around because it’s easy to measure but it will mean different things for different configurations. The key is are you burning the fuel you have or can you burn more fuel for the air you have. There is no reason to cram a bunch of air in the motor if you don’t have the fuel to burn. The air/fuel ratio will dictate the EGTs.

Thinking on your situation, I would pull the air filter and take it for a drive and see if that makes a difference. The needle bounce you are describing is what I see on my gauge at over 15-17 psi. Definitely get your gauge checked. Where is it tied in? Like Russ said tiny leaks on the pressure side can be big losses in pressure.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Egt guage coming soon, my isspro seems to have died. Needle barley moves goes to 300. Stops moving after that. Was 5$ at junkyard 3 years ago I couldn't have asked for more out of it lol so why couldn't I just run my fuel pressure guage in the cab with oil pressure line then?

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My boost guage is in my intake hat after intercooler, it jumps off of 0 and goes to like 1-2 psi then climbs up, it's looks like the needle is sticking inside when it's doing that. Oil trails on intake piping is what I'm gonna look for today that's why I'm gonna clean the top end because it's pretty dirty right now it's would be hard to spot any leaks.

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tightened waste gate, achieved nothing, found stripped out bolt going into turbo pedistal had to use smaller diameter bolt and nut to fix it as I thought that would be my leak for sure this time since pedestal seals the intake off but it's now tight and only got me 1 psi of boost more. Now up to 11 psi max boost. As far as I can tell nothing else is leaking. I'm just giving up and gonna live with it for a while for now. It doesn't smoke when 11 psi is there I don't care about power loss anymore and I don't think it's gonna hurt anything. Now on to making things nicer. New floor valve covers and gaskets and a proper CD-R routing among other things

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So just driving around today I think I'm chasing something that doesn't exist. I'm making 9-11 psi only but I have like no black smoke at wot when turbo spools anywhere above 1500 rpms it's just a light haze. Is this really all my 90cc pump throws out with stage1's? I mean power seems good, turbo spools up fast and just stops when exhaust is clean. I think everything is working properly. Next mod is gonna be the 3 inch r and d downpipe I think. I know people are running more boost but idk why mine is so low with everything done but everything but the boost numbers add up to it working properly.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726