Loud Click at Start Gone

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
I lost my loud firm click while the GPs warm. Now all I get is a very faint click. I sensing that unless I do something, she's going to have a hard time starting this winter. What is it that actually (specifically) makes the clicking sound?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
I lost my loud firm click while the GPs warm. Now all I get is a very faint click. I sensing that unless I do something, she's going to have a hard time starting this winter. What is it that actually (specifically) makes the clicking sound?

NO!.....DO NOT replace the glow plug controller! It is most likely fine itself. The clicking sound that you hear is the relay on the controller clicking on and off. It does this to cycle the glow plugs after start up. This is supposed to make it run better right after start up and clear up any smoking after start up.
The reason that you hear only a faint clicking is most likely because some of your glow plugs are burnt out! The burnt out glow plugs cause less draw on the system and will reduce the clicking noise. The burnt plugs will also lessen the amount of time the glow plugs cycle. Check your glow plugs and replace the bad ones. While you're in there also check the ground wire on the controller, it is black and bolted to the valve cover bolt. To check your glow plugs, hook a test light to the positive terminal of either battery, pull the cap off the plug and touch a test light to the top of the plug. If the test light comes on, the plug is good. If the light doesnt come on then the glow plug is bad and needs replaced.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Diezel_Cowboy said:
To check your glow plugs, hook a test light to the positive terminal of either battery, pull the cap off the plug and touch a test light to the top of the plug. If the test light comes on, the plug is good. If the light doesnt come on then the glow plug is bad and needs replaced.

So the top of the plug is ground and the GP is nothing more than a special resistor? If the GP opens than no more ground = no more heat?

Diezel_Cowboy

It's not like a real ***!
Reaction score
John Haggerty said:
So the top of the plug is ground and the GP is nothing more than a special resistor? If the GP opens than no more ground = no more heat?

Yep basically! A light bulb is a type of resistor! When the filament heats it produces light and heat. Same is true for the glow plugs except they are made to produce more heat than light, they do "glow" when they heat up hence the name.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitsu tractor