LOTS of oil puddled in valley cover; Turbo oil drain?

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've run mechanical pressure gauges in the past and never had one leak inside the cab either. Only when the plastic line melts against something hot, and thats out in the engine bay. I'll get the Isspro just to match my pyro.

Found a bunch of oil in the turbo inlet, another symptom of oil not being able to drain from the turbo.

Fixed the hood latch...

saw the belt had indeed come off the idler again... The idler is loose. My brother simply neglected to tighten it after screwing around with it trying to figure out why it wasn't tightening the belt (he didn't have it on the crank pulley right)

Oil is 2qts high... IMO not enough to cause the massive leak, but then again maybe its been leaking til its only 2 qts high now.

It's not possible to remove the oil drain without having the turbo loose is it?

reklund

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you get crazy and remove the turbo, correct the oil level. Also, oil pressure issues make me think the factory sender or oil supply line might be faulty (and the source of the leak). Clean it up and look around. That oil drain is a gravity feed, non pressurized deal. While a faulty grommet will cause a leak, a massive leak like yours makes me think something else is amiss.

Ryan

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Oil in the turbo inlet is NOT a sign of the turbo not draining.
That's a sign of oil coming past the CDR, probably from being too full.

Ever heard of a runaway???

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you get crazy and remove the turbo, correct the oil level. Also, oil pressure issues make me think the factory sender or oil supply line might be faulty (and the source of the leak). Clean it up and look around. That oil drain is a gravity feed, non pressurized deal. While a faulty grommet will cause a leak, a massive leak like yours makes me think something else is amiss.

Ryan

The leak originates below that point. The oil feed line is still clean.

I went out with the intent of fixing the tensioner and found he crossthreaded the pulley bolt.

Once I get the water pump turning again I will run it and try to track the leak down.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, mechanical pressure gauge confirms it. 0 oil pressure at warm idle...

Oil seems to be leaking from the dipstick tube area again,

Since I mopped up the valley pan, there doesn't seem to be any more oil accumulating there, that may have been how much my brother spilled trying to fill it.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
So whats the oil pressure at 1500 or 2000 rpm. This might be a simple easy to fix oil pressure regulator valve problem or the filter bypass valve too. Hopefully its not washed out mains and rods. That could be from running the engine low or without oil too but lets not jump that far yet.

antiqueford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I ended up buying a duramax... That thing is freaking awesome but that's another story.

I tore into the IDI this weekend because me and a couple buddies are gonna turn it into a trail rig. The thing fired right up without even breaking out the battery charger. runs really rough and still has the oil pressure problem, but the DMF is absolutely shot so that could be causing most of the rough running problem. The outer half of the flywheel turns about 20* by hand... Didn't even recognize the DMF shake until I bought the Duramax knowing the DMF was shot and recognized it as the same type of problem with the IDI.

I don't see any obvious sign of the oil leak. The valley pan and back of the engine/top of trans are coated thick with oil and it extends half way up the turbo oil drain tube. I'll throw it on the engine stand and clean it up. I'll pull a couple rod and main caps and see what things look like inside. Hopefully the crank looks good. I would assume doing the bearings would be cheap insurance too.

Here was the truck last weekend after we finished shortening up the wheelbase to something a little more trail friendly :D
You must be registered for see images attach