Loss of power

Jdubya88

Reaction score
i recently bought a 94 7.3l idi f350. The people I bought it from said it was losing fuel pressure. The manual fuel pump had gone bad so I replaced it along with the lines, the IPR valve and put new gaskets on the banjo bolt. Tried to start it yesterday and it ran for 5 minutes and died. I put a gauge on the Schrader valve and when it first goes to crank the pressure goes up to 40 then drops to around 25 and slowly goes down. I can not find any fuel leaking anywhere but am losing fuel pressure somewhere. I was thinking maybe the Schrader valve needs to be replaced? It unscrewed relatively easily. I also cleaned both screens connected to the fuel pressure regulator, changed the fuel filter, oil filter and new oil. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would look at the fuel system. The Schrader valve is not your problem, unless it is leaking when not in use. Welcome to Oil Burners!

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum, where in Texas are you? My shop is north of SA. Sounds like you have a powerstroke if its got that high of fuel pressure readings. In 94 they had the non turbo 7.3, factory turbo IDI 7.3, and powerstoke 7.3. Just a little confusing, how much fuel is in the tanks? It could be the tank is below 1/4 and the pickup has fallen off and its run out of diesel.

Jdubya88

Reaction score
I live in cleburne Texas just south of Fort Worth. The tank has about 3/4 of a tank, but I did let it run damn near out before refilling to get rid of all the old diesel that was in it. So you think the pick up line has just fallen off in the tank?

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The IDI doesn’t have a pressure regulator or ipr, does your engine look like this?
You must be registered for see images attach

Does it have issues on both tanks? It may have some crud sucked up into the selector valve and is restricting your fuel flow. You can pull the fuel line off and try blowing light air pressure back to tank to see if that helps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online