Loose oil filter?? All by itself?

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone here ever have an oil filter come loose all by itself? Or is someone screwing with my truck? The filter that mysteriously came loose was on the truck for the last 2000 mi. And I have never had an oil filter come loose on anything I have ever changed the oil on in the past. (I change oil every day in people's cars, and never had an issue.) Is this an idi thing, or an ignorant person thing?

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
YIKES!
Saved the motor I hope?

No double gasket syndrome?

That's a first for me.

Only thing I have seen is on and International R-190 firetruck, the filter is a cartridge style and the mechanics overtightened the canister which pushed out the gasket and over time developed a major oil issue.:eek:

jharvey

Shutter Bug
Reaction score
Well if the IDI's are anything like the PSD unless you tightened the filter up normally and then went another 1/4 turn they have a tendency to wiggle loose.

Don't have any idea why but it did happen on my '95 PSD.

John

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never double gasketed anything, I always check, and I always have tightened them until you can't turn it by hand any further. I have probably done 20,000 oil changes so far in my life, and this is a first for me. I noticed the leak, before it lost any more than 1/2 a quart, but it went from no leak to leaking in just about a day. But, I also had all the lugnuts on the lf wheel of my jeep amzingly all come three turns loose while sitting in the yard one night last year. Started going down the driveway to go wheeling with it and noticed it had a lot of noise it never had before. backed up and checked wheels to find they were all loose on the lf. So, long story short, if nobody else here has seen this, I think I may be breaking out the rock salt security system. Thanks for any more input everyone has.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Yes.. I changed my oil about 2 weeks ago and I know I really hand tightened it. I was under the truck Thursday and saw some oil just starting to leak down the side of the Ford 1995 filter. I cleaned it off and checked for tightness and found it loose. Maybe Ford is selling some defective filters to WalMart. Thats where I buy mine.

troupp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The one I put on when I dropped the donor motor in was a fram, I know most of you guys hate them, but it's what she brought home, when I called and asked her to pick up an oil filter for me(guess that's what I get). At least it fit. I guess I'll just have to keep checking it, seemed retarded though, most of the time you can't get a filter off after tightening like that, and on this thing, it's just a self destruction timer built-in?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I double gasketed a 70' Maverick with a 260CID six once by accident. Worked great until the temps took a sharp dip. Went to start it, and the oil presure was so high is squirted 4 quarts out between those gaskets quicker than you can feel owl snot on a doorknob.

Dsl_Dog_Treat

I lost my face to the jaws of a poodle
Reaction score
Agnem said:
Went to start it, and the oil presure was so high is squirted 4 quarts out between those gaskets quicker than you can feel owl snot on a doorknob.
:rotflmao :rotflmao
Mel,
Stop drinking the bottled water. LOL