Looking to buy a 2003 Excursion with a 6.0

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been wanting an Excursion for some time, nearly bought a V10 truck but things changed and I bought a commuter car instead (thank god). Now I'm back in the Excursion market and I want a diesel for the obvious power and mileage over the V10 options.

I'm going to go look at this truck this weekend- I've done my research and I originally wanted a 05' truck due to the improvements made but my other option was to find something that has had work done to it, and the right work done to it.

Enter the local truck - better optioned and conditioned than what I've seen so far looking online and a meticulous owner as well.

178,000 Miles
78,000 miles on Motor installed by Ford. Runs and Drives great! Best mileage 23mpg… averages 18mpg. EGR delete kit, Remote start, on-board battery charger, '05 grill. Rear bucket seats, rear entertainment system, It's been a great vehicle. I just spent many thousands of dollars making this thing rock solid for another 10 years. Wife wants something new...

New Parts as of 6,000 miles ago, all genuine FORD unless noted:
EGR delete - Sinister Diesel
CAM sensor
Crank Sensor
FICM
HOT glow plugs
HPOP
ICP sensor
IPR
Water Pump
Serpentine Belt
Alternator
Two Batteries
CAM sensor
Crank Sensor
FICM
Front wheel bearings
Front inner axle seals
Outer axle seals
Ball joints
Warn Premium manual lockouts
New brakes all around - Ceramic Pads and new rotors
Brand new tires

Religious 3,000 mile oil changes - FORD filters ONLY
Fuel filters
Remote starter

It will need:
Driver side window motor is going out. Still works but will need replaced soon.
Rear Bumper needs paint

My thoughts:
I'll find out what dealer, I know people at two different huge local dealers around here so I'm not worried about the work - his wife drives this. Its got the 2nd row captains which I want and it looks to be in really nice shape. He is going to put it on a 2 post lift for me to look at the bottom too. I've got a good feeling about this.

I think I can get is for around 13k.

What do you guys think? I'm going to get gauges for it if they are not already there, but I'm thinking so with the mods done with the EGR system.
You must be registered for see images attach

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO, you definitely gotta have a monitor for the oil vs water temp "delta" in any 6 liter powerstroke. Other than that: looks like a nice rig, especially if they did all the preventive stuff.

Good luck, I love the Excursions

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a nice Excursion. $13k seems like a very fair price with all that work done. Most of the Excursions I see for sale look like crap. If they are nice, they are asking for a lot more $$$. I got my 2000 Ex with a 7.3 back on the road recently. It looks like it has been to Afganistan on a couple of times. Someone would have to offer close to what they are asking for me to even consider selling it which I know is ridiculous.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO, you definitely gotta have a monitor for the oil vs water temp "delta" in any 6 liter powerstroke. Other than that: looks like a nice rig, especially if they did all the preventive stuff.

Good luck, I love the Excursions

Yeah - I'm looking at the Edge Insight CS/CTS for gauges.

mohavewolfpup

Diesel Wolf Puppy
Reaction score
Looks pretty good if they haven't bully programmed it and all that junk. All the ones I see for sale involve too many programmers used on it, extreme turbos, etc. Way too stressful to the engine imho, so I always think they better slash the price down to 2-3k for the complete engine replacement it will need....

04_6.0

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks nice and clean on the inside. Looks well maintained as well. I love the dual captains seats and thats sounds like a good entertainment system. But all in all unless it was really really cheap its still a 6.0. I have had the pleasure of there being 5 6.0 liter fords in my immedate family. 4 were not worth anything, one was traded in on its last leg at 190k, another was sold at 212k, next one is in my uncles barn with a bad engine at 145k, and lastly my brother is running strong with a cummins. One was ok until a major faliure occured, this truck was mine and i bought it with the intention of doing a cummins swap on it I got a smoking deal on it 11k for a 25k truck in 2009 with a full history report. Constant limp mode leaving uncle, dad, and brothers on side of highway. And we all had headstuds, egr delete, oil cooler delete, extra 2 micron fuel/water seperator, bypass oil filter and coolant filter. All sinster stuff. I did all the work to mine first and had no real problems so the others followed suit. At 78k on the 2nd engine I was driving down the highway there were no lights and boost was normal, everything was normal. Then truck just shutoff and back tires locked up (6 speed). Bent 2 rods, broke pistons, and ruined the block. Good thing I had started collecting parts for the cummins swap. If you buy it; buy it with the notion that even with all that aftermarket stuff it will still fail on you. I did routine oil changes as well everything by the book still had catostraphic engine faliure on engine #2 and truck had 111k total miles (1st engine was replaced by ford under warranty). Buy the 6.0 with the intention of swapping the motor or trying to resell it quick. just my words of wisdom. I had heard horror stories of the 6.0 but i didn't want to believe them. Until i got one and expierenced them first hand. My truck is running strong still with the cummins repower, my cousin bought it and drives that thing all over the country as a heavy haul ****** and pulls horses and cattle when he comes home.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Looks like a solid deal. Why two FICM's in the last 6000 miles? That plus batteries and a battery charger makes me think it has a battery drain somewhere. Low batteries from a drain kills the stock FICM's.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks like a solid deal. Why two FICM's in the last 6000 miles? That plus batteries and a battery charger makes me think it has a battery drain somewhere. Low batteries from a drain kills the stock FICM's.

I only know of what I've read on what people do to fix and prevent failures of the motor (EGR, HPOP, coolant filters, etc etc) but I know nothing of the FICM - should this be a worry? With the Edge CTS I should be able to monitor everything I need to, correct?

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Yes, you can monitor it ;Sweet. The FICM sends voltage to the injectors for them to fire. Stock units send out 48v. The stock ones are really picky to low voltage situations, such as drain batteries. Just like a starter, low voltage means higher amps, which fries the FICMs. It should be no less than 46v at any time, and should really never drop below 47-47.5v. The CS/CTS can monitor it's voltage.

To rebuild it costs about $200, a new unit is a little more, better units are available.

Mine has a battery drain that draws about .5amps. It will drain the batteries in a week. My drain is the radio believe it or not. That's what I'm thinking is happening to this one after seeing the two FICM's, batteries, and battery charger. He can't find the drain so he is making sure to charge it.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 6.9 stays plugged in all the time, so that isn't a big deal for me either. Normally I would run an Oaisis report on it, but I know its had an engine swap and a ton of work done - should I be worried or not?

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to look today - doesn't look like he had much on it besides a scanguage (that is gone) and no tune (odd as he removed the EGR).

Got more pics-

Arm rest cover is $50 and 10 minutes, so I'm not butthurt over that.

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it right in the ball park of where I wanted to be before he put tires on it, so I think we have a deal.

More pics, because everyone loves pics. Drove really nice, shifted great, brakes are solid. Not a speck of oil anywhere to be found on the bottom of the engine and the trans looks acceptable as well.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Seems like a fair deal.

Did you take the pics with a potato?
Lol

Any reason why he took the scangauge off?

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

KyleQ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Potato? Note 3 - probably crap on the lens.

He put it in his 08 F350....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Lol it was a YouTube joke.
All of them from the last post are blurry. At least for me.

He probably has the egr fooler.

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86