looking for turbo swap advice

fuzzydog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so. I thought my 91 IDI NA was pooched and put out feelers for a new engine.
turns out the engine might not be pooched, but I did get a good lead on a 94 IDI turbo engine for a reasonable price and I can hear it run before buying.

So, if I decide to go this route, are the IDI turbos plug n play or do is there an engine management computer that I need to get?

I love the simplicity of my IDI and my only other turbo experience was on late 80's Audi's which have a computer for fuel mapping. I have to admit that the idea of turboing my F250 has me a bit excited. I generally haul a large camper and pull a flatdeck with my jeep cherokee offroader on it. I hit the scales at 15,800 lbs and the 3.55 gears are pretty slow on the hills.

I would be getting the complete engine - I can hear it run then we pull it out of the truck and put it in mine.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
No computers or chips in these puppies. Only chips go in the driver :D

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Seriously though, grab that thing if it's in good shape, you will love it for hauling that stuff.. Only mod is you will need to knock a section of firewall back for downpipe clearance where the lip of the firewall and floorpan come together, slot it with a cutoff tool and beat it up out of teh way. New cab mounts are a REAL good idea at this time to assure proper clearance ( and a 1" hockey puck lift on the body will allow some extra room for getting your hands in to mess with the thing)
Is it a factory turbo or another brand?

zpd307

Reaction score
you will love the turbod motor. i wonder why diesels were ever made w/o a turbo...

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
That engine will fit just as the engine in the truck now fits. No computers or chips with any idi engine. Only the E4OD trans has a computer to tell it what to shift like per loads and road speeds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online