Looking for anyone in phx to lend a hand

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, everytime I get to this point I end up ripping my hair out...the last time I sent the truck to a shop that timed it by ear for $120...I gotta learn this.

Is there any OB'ers in the phoenix area who can teach me how to time one of these motors....I dont have a meter (but will gladly buy one, but I do have cash and a nice place to work with tools (including cold beer)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's pretty much the problem for everyone that doesn't have a meter. Timing by ear is like playing music by ear. It can be done, but you have to have at least one string in tune to be able to get the others to come along. And even then, you can never be SURE that you did it spot on. And 1 or 2 degrees off can make a big difference in power and economy. Plus, without a meter, you can never really tell if the pump internal advance is working properly, to keep the timing correct throughout the RPM range. You really need to find someone with a meter, who knows how to use it, who can help you out. If it were not for the serveral thousand miles between us, that person could be me.

timothyr1014

Full Access Member
Reaction score
agree totally....I was a little peeved when I found out the shop I paid did it all by ear...learned from all you guys how to get that far.

I am 99% sure my frusturation with this one is in the internal advance....even fully cocked to the drivers side it is too advanced. Just for grins I wedged a piece of hose between the timing arm and the ip body and things got much better (this somewhat defeats how it retards under wot, but from idle to about 2500 it was clearly a step in the right directing)

How does the internal advance work, and is there a process for diagnosing it (I know playing without proper tools is a crapshoot, but I would like to at least have a vague confirmation I am looking in the right direction)

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The internal advance relies on fuel presure to move the timing ring, but it's all inside the pump. There isn't any way to watch what it does. You can only see the effect it has with a meter. Common problems with it include sticking, or not sealing right which leads to timing that drifts.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The internal advance relies on fuel presure to move the timing ring, but it's all inside the pump. There isn't any way to watch what it does. You can only see the effect it has with a meter. Common problems with it include sticking, or not sealing right which leads to timing that drifts.

Mel: I think you are refering to the wandering of the timing mark. Since the engine is an old 1988, I'm going to give it a good shot of Howes or Diesel Kleen, then see what it will do. Didn't do anything to it when I got it, just stuck it in and this is the 1st time I ran it. Heck, it set for a year after I put it in. :D Cleaned it up and a fresh paint job outside was all.

Thanks for the info on that.

AZBLACKSMOKE

no truck payment
Reaction score
Okay, everytime I get to this point I end up ripping my hair out...the last time I sent the truck to a shop that timed it by ear for $120...I gotta learn this.

Is there any OB'ers in the phoenix area who can teach me how to time one of these motors....I dont have a meter (but will gladly buy one, but I do have cash and a nice place to work with tools (including cold beer)

Are you still needing help? Im about 3 hours east of Chandler but Ive got a Ferret timing meter and go to Tempe every second Tuesday of the month for my Sonora Desert Scouts club meetings. Maybe I can swing by and we can see whats going on.