Looking for an engine, again.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
Well, I got 6 months out of my first engine transplant. She up & quit last Monday.:puke: Low compression, hard starting and eating like 10 quarts of oil a week were some symptoms. A big puff of smoke and loss of all power last week was its last hurrah. I will tear it down later to see what happened but I really need a replacement soon to keep me on the road.

I have a lead on one on Craigslist. Check out the ad and let me know if it may be anyone's on here. I have been in email comtact with the seller. He says it was a reman by Dealer's Diesel and is getting me pics and hopefully paperwork to assertain what he claims it to be. What do y'all think?

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/2150649855.html

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Price seems to me a little hi. Offer $800 at best. Ask him if he treated it with SCA's, if he don't know what that means, I would be very leary of it being a real good engine. A reman engine should of had the cylinders bored and relined, new pistons, all bearings and head valve job to say the least. Never heard of Dealers Diesel. A reman runs between 3500 and 4800. Google Dealers Diesel see what they do.

Edit; Here is a link to them. http://www.gdsdieselparts.com/dealers_diesel.htm

they say nothing about sleeving the cylinders.

Here's another,http://www.promarengine.com/productdetails.asp?ProdId=495&SP=-- I got one for my 90 and are very satisfied with it. They are in NJ.

Last edited:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
dealers diesel does not do good reman work, saw 2 engines with loose sleeves.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you want to do the work i got a 94 turbo motor thats in pieces needs gaskets and one piston ill sell pm me if interested
stock motor
had a head gasket failure

93_444idi

first on race day
Reaction score
i have a dealers diesel remand 7.3. 180k miles and not a hiccup. mine was done back in 98, maybe they did better work back then or I got lucky.

88beast

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and another reman issue is the 3/8 drive pipe plug with the hole at the back of the block some plugged the hole

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
too bad you're on the wrong side of the continent. I have two motors going to the scrapper. both need rebuilding. one is "junk". it has a rod through the side of the block and a "dealers diesel" sticker on the valve cover. the other one is a smoker but it is original.

86F2506.9

6.9 International
Reaction score
Hunt around you should be able to do better. 1300 is alot even if he has paperwork to back it up. There's others in our area cheaper than that on Clist.
look into this one: http://southjersey.craigslist.org/pts/2140641112.html

i agree hell here in pa i can pick up a 6.9idi and 7.3idi for 250. hell im gettin a 7.3 powerstroke that im payin 250 for the guy i go to dont care what it is he just wants a couple bucks profit off of the stuff and i think it help that i kinda know the guy lol

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a dealers diesel in my truck also. did it back in 98 or 99. Around 80K on it with no hiccup. I wouldn't be scared about the dealers diesel.

GOOSE

Happy IDI'er
Reaction score
I'd be willing to travel probably up to 200 miles for the right motor. I was thinking that if this guy does have paperwork, a 5yr / 40k engine may be worth a grand or so. I have litmus strips and do know to look for the sca's. Thanks for all the input, I will respond more later, I'm on my phone now.

87crewdually

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd be willing to travel probably up to 200 miles for the right motor. I was thinking that if this guy does have paperwork, a 5yr / 40k engine may be worth a grand or so. I have litmus strips and do know to look for the sca's. Thanks for all the input, I will respond more later, I'm on my phone now.

The warranty wouldn't sell the deal for me. MOST aren't transferable anyways which means once the engine is in your hands the warranty is over.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This dealers diesel I saw were "new" in '03 ish, one was the replacement for the first one.