Looking for a new WMO recipe, What's Yours?

jhamil25

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I had a problem with both my tanks leaking so I pulled them and I'm going to buy new ones. Then I'm going to try this!!

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm interested to know if you have any guess as to the thickness of the thicker oil your currently dealing with... Maybe 15w-40, or 20w-50 ? Or a synthetic mix ?

It came from a farm so I think it's likely 15w-40 with some gear and hydraulic oil in the mix as well. I miss the days of ATF, that was my all time best mix with Very little smoke, good fuel pressure, and great power.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
Hey if I wanted to run a small amount in a full tank of #2 whats the max I should run? My 1989 dodge cummins manual states up to 5% wmo can be used.. that was 1.5g in my 30g tank... that truck also used a rotory pump like ours.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know of some that have ran straight oil in a cummins without issue... then I know of people who have ran as little as 20% and had coking issues.

What kind of driving do you do?

I would say you could start at 20% clean wmo and go from there... clean is the important part.

NO_SPRK

User & Abuser
Reaction score
I know of some that have ran straight oil in a cummins without issue... then I know of people who have ran as little as 20% and had coking issues.

What kind of driving do you do?

I would say you could start at 20% clean wmo and go from there... clean is the important part.

I mostly tow a car trailer besides it being my daily driver. also is it ok to use diesel oil or should I stick to gasser wmo? Also is synthetic or blends ok to run?

I have sock filters that I use with WVO. Would these work? They are brand new

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will they work? Sure... a lot of guys use sock filters... filtration works. I filtered my wmo when I first got into it using house water filters and spin ons from the local tractor supply.

What micron rating are those sock filters?

You should be good to start with 20% anyways and work your way up.. if it starts to smoke/act up... cut back or thin the oil out with RUG

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just tried out the 80/20 rug mix and WOW.

Much thinner than anything I've ran and I know a good bit of that drum was gear oil.

I did mix it in the tank with my last batch that was a 80/10/10 mix. The smoke seams to have gone down some too

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to pick up 50 gals of gear oil, and 50 gals of hydraulic oil this morning. I'll see what happens, in attempting to run the gear oil at an 80 20 mix.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an opportunity to get some gear oil too. But having 4 totes of 10w-30 made it easy to pass up. Right now I'm just trying to get thru the last 90 gallons of 15w-40.

BioFarmer93

OPEC Hater
Reaction score
Summer 80/20 WMO- kerosene
Winter 70/30, no octane..
I know RUG is cheaper by a few cents a gallon, but you really are better off using kerosene for thinning. No need at all for gasoline in diesel fuel. JM2C..

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4 totes??!! The 330 gallon ones??

That's what I need. I'm down to 2 drums left, need to call around again soon