Looking for a new WMO recipe, What's Yours?

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious to try a new blend in my IDI. Mind sharing what works for you?

Had my tank get thick solid this winter. Made it hard to run sometimes. Maybe need more % RUG, but dont want to hydrolock the engine. So how far can I go with RUG?

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I'm rebuilding my engine, haven't run much wmo.
I was mixing a 75% wmo- 25% RUG.
Went to this mix because of my electric fuel pump, some others had said they burned out on higher blends.
Don't remember how this mix worked in cold weather, but I think it would have been ok.
I do think a two(or 3) tank system helps the problem with "thick" fuel, warmer fuel etc.
One other thing I'm gonna try is using a little more diesel fuel additive, so I suppose my mix would then be 74.75% wmo- 24.75 RUG, or whatever.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Please help me understand. If I want 10 gallons total fuel, 2.5 gallons will be RUG?
I need to make sure I'm doing the math correct.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes.

My blend is W80.. 80%wmo to 20% thinner (what ever I happen to have laying around) and we have had decent luck with it so far... which is easy to make in 25 gallon batches.. 20 gallons of oil and 5 gallons of RUG or your thinner of choice.

I know of people running W70... 30% rug in colder weather without issue as well. It really depends on the engine, climate, driving style, etc.. as to what will work the best for your situation.

-Chris

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright, I think I'm needing to add more RUG to the thick oil I have right now. Should take care of the recent issue I've been having. might not even be the cold weather, could be thicker WMO in general, without my adjusting the blend.

I'll be glad when I get to my next tote of oil. It's out of Propane powered fork trucks and quite thin & light colored.
OH for the day I had ATF to burn. That was nice. Not even a comparison to the thick oil I'm mixing now. The ATF was thin and hard to do wrong.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Best way to get the mix accurate... hydrometer test and match it to pump diesel. That will get the viscosity dead nuts no matter the mix/oil you are using. If the oil is thick to begin with, it will take more thinner to get it right... thinner oils such as atf or hydraulic fluid... less.

I really want to pick up a hydrometer which can be had for pretty cheap and get scientific with it instead of all the guess work.

FarmerFrank

Full Access Member
Reaction score
30% RUG? I'm impressed. I probably should up my thinners, I've been cheap lately. I make 75 gallon batches and use 60 gallons of oil, 10 rug and 5 diesel. So that's a 80/13/7

This next batch I'm going to do more rug and less diesel. Ill use diesel if it needs thinned anymore. I might even try my first no-diesel blend on this one. I've been having a lot of smoke lately but I think that's from injectors starting to coke. Which in turn is probably from my think oil.

I run diesel through my refinery and note the pressure it runs, then blend until I get close to that number.

AcIdBuRn02ZTS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically diesel doesn't work well as a thinner since you are trying to get the oil as thin as diesel... something to think about.

Sent from a pay phone... using Tapatalk v2.0

jhamil25

Reaction score
Guys, Please explain to me this process your talking about. I'm new to diesel, just bought my 88 7.3 a few months ago. What's WMO and RUG? Is WMO just filtered waste oil And RUG a thinner oil to match the viscosity of diesel?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
WMO= waste motor oil.
RUG= regular unleaded gasoline.

Do some more reading in this section and you'll learn more about it.
Needs filtered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leswhitt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running W83 (7.3 PSD) for awhile now, this latest batch of oil is thicker than my normal stock so I increased to a W76 mix and am having a great deal more smoke.

When in the cold temps (0-40), I was running 25% diesel, 60% wmo, and 15% gas with a minimal amount of smoke on this thicker oil, now that it's warmed up I tried to cut out the diesel and increase gas to save $$ but it's not worth it with the added smoke. Until I get back into the thinner oils or ATF, I'm going to stick with my winter mix and try to get the smoke back to a decent level. Even when back on the thin stuff, I'm going to experiment with less gas and more diesel to see if can find a happy medium between smoke, fuel pressure (I have a PSD that requires 40-60 psi), and EGT's (mine run higher if I have too much gas).

I'm also going to try adding the diesel while the mix is in the centrifuge tank, rather than adding it after my initial WMO mix is already in the tank.

m67tang

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been running W83 (7.3 PSD) for awhile now, this latest batch of oil is thicker than my normal stock so I increased to a W76 mix and am having a great deal more smoke.

When in the cold temps (0-40), I was running 25% diesel, 60% wmo, and 15% gas with a minimal amount of smoke on this thicker oil, now that it's warmed up I tried to cut out the diesel and increase gas to save $$ but it's not worth it with the added smoke. Until I get back into the thinner oils or ATF, I'm going to stick with my winter mix and try to get the smoke back to a decent level. Even when back on the thin stuff, I'm going to experiment with less gas and more diesel to see if can find a happy medium between smoke, fuel pressure (I have a PSD that requires 40-60 psi), and EGT's (mine run higher if I have too much gas).

I'm also going to try adding the diesel while the mix is in the centrifuge tank, rather than adding it after my initial WMO mix is already in the tank.
I'm interested to know if you have any guess as to the thickness of the thicker oil your currently dealing with... Maybe 15w-40, or 20w-50 ? Or a synthetic mix ?

Josh Carmack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm a cheap lazy *******. I dump 5 gals of RUG in the processing drum, and fill with WMO from multiple various sources. Might be 15W-40, might be 5W-30 might be ATF I don't know, it's all black and oily. In the winter I forgot to switch tanks and had to pull start the truck a couple of times. If I burn the IP, engine, and transmission up tomorrow doing it the way i do it, I'll have already payed for the whole truck in my fuel savings. Don't give a rats ass about smoke, as long as it starts, runs and drives without missing and stuttering, I'll run it. I don't worry about percents, I don't worry about EGT, or anything else, except for detonation. Once it got cold, and I was running almost pure 15w-40 it kept tripping the filter light and stumbling after a hard acceleration. Pulled up to the gas pump and dumped 7 Gallons of RUG in it and took off, figured if it was too much, i'd suck it out and go again. It quit stumbling, and ran great and started easy on that mix, I guess it was something like 65/35 mix maybe a 60/40 the tank was almost pure oil and I dumped 7 gals RUG on top, the tank holds 19, or 20, can't remember. I live out in the sticks, and folks are used to seeing old raggedy farms trucks smokin like a train, so mine fits right in with the rest. When i replace the old IDI with a PSD, or a Cummins, then I might care, and little more about smoke and percentages, but now I don't. PS, mine always smokes, but not too bad as long as I keep the RPMS down. when I actually look in the mirror at the pipes seems like it smokes worse on pure diesel.