Looking at a N"used" F250 IDI

Averysm09

Reaction score
UPDATE:

DONE:
-Changed the oil, put the 1995 oil filter on so now have 11 fresh quarts of Rotella T conventional
-Installed the new door latch (think it was for a xl though, no place to plug in the window lock button cable)
-Reinstalled door panel, with new handle
-Installed new XLT dash strip along with nused red dash pad
-Installed new oem tailights (PO painted them black)

NEDD TO DO:
-Have new drag link set-up to instal
-Bought a $50 radio with adapters just need to install
-Coolant looks BRIGHT green so I haven't changed that, still debating on whether I should
-Have a new Motorcraft Thermostat and gasket to install (looks like a PITA based on videos)
-Have a new Motorcraft Fuel Filter to install along with Diesel Kleen supplement

ISSUES:
-Oil leaks from more than just valve covers. Looks to be all over (RMS, oil pan gasket, valve covers at least)
-I bought a nused windshield wiper relay but could not find where to install it....anywhere. Thinking of just trying to find a re-manned motor)
-Transmission still acts a fool (not staying in OD on highway unless the throttle is being hammered)

-About the trans, do these trucks have selenoids for the trans? Thottle Position Sensors maybe? I'm trying to figure out what could be causing this but I don't even know where to begin. I was thinking it was the gears at first, but I can't see any gears keeping a truck at 2k+ RPMs at 65-70 mpg with 36" tires.

April 2016 UPDATE:

DONE:
-Installed new drag-link set up and got an alignment
-Installed single-din radio
-Installed remanned windsheild wiper motor (all is right in that area)
-Replaced taillights with regular bulbs (were LEDs) but still need to swap out rear blinkers in hopes that will help trans issues

NEEDS:
-Coolant change
-Fuel filter change
-Motorcraft thermostat change

Drove the truck around yesterday a big and based on one of the posts, paid really close attention to what the torque converter was doing. It was all over the place, shifting up and down, finally getting to speed but still having the issue of not staying in OD. When I hit the OD button, it would downshift so that was for sure works properly. At highway speeds, 65ish, let off the throttle and it would come out of OD and if I just rolled out of the throttle completely, it felt as though the torque converter wasn't locked.

Now that it's getting warmer out, I will dive back into this thing. It did more sitting this winter than anything. I will swap the other LEDs in the tails and make sure that the voltage on the TPS is correct (been meaning to do that for a while now). If none of those things solve the problem, I will move on to the tach sensor, and/or the MPL? I forget what the other is called. After that (at my pace will take a year :)) I'll have to make sure to get back on here.

Thanks for all of the help guys!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ajuka